1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2015 MLB Regular-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by doctorquant, Apr 5, 2015.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Take me with you.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You're being ridiculous, pern.

But I am not going to convince you you aren't, so that's about it.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

OK, LTL, I'm open to discussion on this. Let's forget about the outcome of Buehrle's start. It's really irrelevant to my point (although it does underscore it).

Do you really think, given how statistically favorable it is for the Jays to play at Rogers Centre, that pitching a guy on one day's rest so he can fulfill a a completely meaningless statistical goal was a smart thing for the Blue Jays to do? I'm genuinely curious about the argument that supports letting Buehrle pursue his 200 IP with home field advantage still in play.

4. LongTimeListener

--Home field advantage means almost nothing. The Jays were 53-28? Big deal. Last year the Angels were 52-29 at home and they lost the first two games there, despite going to extras where home-field advantage is supposed to be the most valuable. Go through history and you aren't going to find a lot of examples of "Oh God yes, we have home-field advantage!" Maybe the Twins with the variable air conditioning.

--Buehrle's pitching didn't cost them anything -- Sandy Koufax in his prime wouldn't be successful having to get five outs in an inning. With normal catching and throwing, it's likely he gets through his two innings without allowing a run. Instead he had to throw FORTY-FIVE PITCHES. No shit he gave up a grand slam.

--There was not a high chance they were going to get home-field anyway, as the Royals weren't likely to lose.

--The Jays do have a schedule to think about too -- they play Thursday and Friday. Teams normally map out their four starters ... BUT that can change quickly inside a game, and what you thought would be a starter might end up coming on in relief in Games 1 or 2. Last year the Giants and Nats played 18 innings in Game 2 -- that threw pitching staffs completely out of whack, the Nats more than the Giants because they weren't prepared for it.

You're obsessing over one theoretical game out of the 19 they might play. I like making a show for fans -- and, yes, for players -- when the situation allows. This was the perfect situation.

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Gladly. If you are in the Tri-State area lets go. I think I'm looking more at Monday for Game 4 now.

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

"This game is crazy,'' Buehrle said. ''I felt great and didn't get out the first inning. It wasn't meant to be.''

Apparently there were mystical forces involved here. Maybe our Higher Power is pimping the Royals this year?

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'd like to think I'm not just being stubborn here, but you're arguments are fairly unconvincing.
    So you think it is wise to completely discount the statistical evidence that the Blue Jays play significantly better at home this year because the Angels lost their first two home games last year? The Angels had an OPS 50 points lower at home and scored 50 fewer runs at home. It should not have surprised anyone that they couldn't muster much offense in the first two games at home against KC's top pitchers. In fact, this argument proves my point that the Jays should pay heed to their statistical superiority at home.

He didn't need to get through two innings without allowing a run. But he let it turn into a dumpster fire before the Jays got their second at-bat. Without the errors, maybe he gets through two innings, maybe not. With normal catching and throwing, he still would have allowed a pair of first-inning hits, so it's not like he was going to dominate. And he didn't need to be Koufax to buckle down and work around those two errors with only a run or two across the plate. Mark Buehrle on normal rest probably could have done it.

If any manager runs their club by this logic, they should be fired immediately.

I don't get what you're talking about here. What does that have to do with today's game and Mark Buehrle wanting to reach 200IP?

I'm not obsessing, I just think Gibbons was stupid for putting Buehrle's completely meaningless and insignificant streak ahead of the good of the team. I actually largely agree with you about putting on a show, but this situation did not qualify in any sense. Was this a good show for the fans? Do you think any of them cared if Buehrle reached 200 IP? Did any of the Blue Jays enjoy getting clobbered in their final game in a vain attempt to help Buehrle extend this "streak?"

8. LongTimeListener

Very well then.

9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Cardinals roll into the playoffs off being shut out 3 consecutive times by Atlanta.

I'm going with the Dodgers to take out the Cubs in the NL, and the Blue Jays over the Yankees in the AL. Kershaw/Grienke bring the title to LA.

Draft saved Draft deleted