1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2015 golf thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Feb 6, 2015.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Run zig zag if they are chasing you.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

There was quite a video from The Eagles golf club outside Tampa a few years ago of two gators fighting near a green. I kept waiting for both of them to turn on the guy with the camera and drag him into the pond.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Great final round and playoff in Tampa. And Jordan Spieth (hopefully) starting to shed his can't-finish-on-Sundays label that dogged him most of last year.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

That was a fun playoff; great shots and saves from all 3. Kind of thought O'Hair winning would have been nice since redemption is fun to see but wanted Spieth to have more than the John Deere on his resume. As for Reed, I really like his game but his murky college past is hard to root for.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Is this a real thing you saw dogging him, or just something you felt?

He didn't play great in that final round of the Masters, but he won twice since then, including a shooting a ridiculous 63 in the final round of the Australian Open than might have been one of the best final rounds of the year.

6. Reed can play. He can flat-out play. Hell of a close on the last three holes of regulation. But wow, is he tough to root for.

Spieth was clutch on 18 to make the playoff, muchless win it.

7. MileHigh

Both.

2014 at Torrey Pines: Led after 36 holes, then went 75-75
    2014 Masters as you noted
    2014 Players: Tied for the 54-hole lead with Kaymer, shoots 74 to finish T4
    2014 Memorial: Tied for fifth after 54 holes, shoots 75 for T19

So maybe I just noticed it more because I follow his game pretty closely, but certainly since putting it together in Australia, he's starting to get some good Sunday chops.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

He seems like a very likeable kid. Goes out with this devil may care attitude, and lets it fly. The 63 in Australia may have been one of the best rounds of golf I've ever seen on TV. I remember telling myself after 6 or 7......oh, this could be good. Just every shot, from driver to iron to wedge was striped.

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The par saves on the first two playoff holes by Reed were pretty great. I was rooting for O'Hair to sink the putt on the 2nd playoff hole. Hopefully, he is back on track and he certainly should have full status given how much he made this week

10. Double Down

Ok. But, just for perspective, he was 20. That he was leading the Masters at age 20 with 10 holes to play and ended up shooting a pretty respectable 72 (when Rory shot 80 in a similar situation) is pretty remarkable. The idea that anyone could earn a reputation for not being able to get it done on Sunday when he's the first teenager to win on Tour since 1931 seems a bit harsh, no?

I think, in our interest in analying everything and desire to read larger statement into small sample sizes, it leads to pretty unfair presumptions. Jim Furyk? Yeah, I'd say he's had some issues closing for the last five years. He's pretty formed as a player. Spieth is just following the natural progression of a really good player. I just hope he doesn't start fucking with his swing because someone convinces him he needs to stop bending that left elbow at the top to win majors.

Ameeican golf, btw, is going to be fine. I can't wait to see us beat down the Euros in the Ryder Cup in 2022 when Phil is the captain at Bethpage.

11. MileHigh

Probably my fault for perhaps coming off as being too harsh of him. Not my intent. I've been on his bandwagon from the early stages and I think he's going to be a breakout player and perhaps in time stand up and be a formidable rival to Rory, among others. I fully get that there's a learning process on the PGA Tour and you've got to get knocked down a few times to build yourself. See Rory's 80 at Augusta. And the same thing with Spieth. He was in position to win tournaments on Sunday and didn't. Now, he is. That breeds a lot of confidence -- more than he's already got.

Double Down likes this.
  12. Double Down

I think, because he's so mature, it's easy to forget how young he is. I talked to him at a tournament for a story I was working on, and after about 10 mins, I sensed he had to go, and I asked if he wanted to bail and he was like "I can keep talking if you need me. I don't mind." He seems like a damn good person. (Rory top, a marriage break up over the phone not withstanding.) I'm excited about golf's future.

Draft saved Draft deleted