1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2015 golf thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I stopped playing about 20 years ago. I never played in any serious way, but I stopped because I realized that unlike many other sports, it requires a large investment of time to become good enough that I would really enjoy it. To go 2-3 times a years, suck at it and then have that one great shot that brings me back again worked when I was single and in school. No more.

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

The governing bodies have essentially ruined professional golf by their inability to do something about the golf ball. I can't sit down and watch, or buy a ticket to see, driver/8-iron at every par 4 and driver/5-iron at three-quarters of the par 5s. It's still the best sporting game ever devised; I really don't care if the attention span of most millennials is 10 minutes.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I think we're really just seeing a correction from over-expansion. A lot of golf's boom was attached to the housing market. Courses built connected to empty housing communities are the main ones closing down. People are playing fewer rounds and I do think that's related to expense and the amount of time 18 holes takes, but I also think (and we've talked about this before) it has a lot to do with the changing expectations of fathers in today's world. I don't know many men who work all week and then spend an additional day on the weekend away from family for half the day golfing.

Golf isn't going to die, but it will contract a bit. It may have to adapt to where golfers have to get used to the idea of courses looking like they do in Europe or Pinehurst No. 2 (brown, but healthy) to save on expenses, but it will ultimately get back to where it was pre-Tiger Woods, pre-housing boom.

I Should Coco likes this.
  4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Many business have also tightened their own budgets and stopped buying rounds for people during the week and doing the "meeting on the course."

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I don't mind spending 4 hours of my Saturday on the course. I do mind paying those prices, though. Shame, too. I used to love golfing. I almost got to the point where I didn't suck.

Every year, I tell myself I'm going to golf more. And I never do.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I can attest to the father factor -- when the choice is playing in my Saturday morning men's league or watching my girl's soccer game, golf has been losing. And how many parents blow off practices to play golf? I guarantee not as many do as when we were kids, when our parents would just drop us off and pick us up hours later.

As for the WaPo story, I think it focuses way too much on retail. I know that biz a little and TaylorMade was due for a market correction with the way it had been doing business (i.e., two new drivers every year, etc.). And Dick's Sporting Goods may not be the best barometer either. Equipment sales and rounds played don't necessarily have to be parallel.

All that said, I've thought for a while that my town has more golf courses than it probably should. But that's great for me. When my kid's not playing soccer.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

This post, word for word, describe me, too. I'm even seriously considering getting a big net to hit balls into in my back yard this spring. Lord knows I have enough old shag balls.

In 1996 I broke 80 for the one time in my life. Broke par on the back nine, with eight pars and a birdie, for a round of 44-35--79. Followed that up with an 82 Was really playing well for me. Now I'm happy if I break 100, ecstatic if I break 90. I only play about five times a year. I fully intend to play more, which is why I want the net for my back yard. (This also requires the commitment of keeping the back-yard lawn up better.)

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I try to play in one or two best ball charity events each year. Helps take the sting out of the erratic play, since I don't play anywhere near frequently enough to play well.

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I bought a net and a decent hitting mat for my backyard this year. Was kind of expensive, but really hate feeling like a slave to driving ranges that close at 9 p.m. at night when my kids barely go to bed before 8:30. Also got a chipping net and indoor putting strip for the basement. It's still not the same, but it's something.

This is pretty expensive, but worth it.

The course five mins from me has 9-hole deals where it's only $14 to play the back nine before 7 a.m., and I'm hopeful I'll get to take advantage of that a little more this year, but it's still tough with trying to get the kids off to school.

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I would play more if it wasn't such a time suck. I started playing about 5 years before my daughter was born and probably got 20-25 rounds in a year. Now, I'm lucky if I play 5 times a year. Around me, most courses with available tee times are brutal on weekends in terms of pace of play. If I'm not playing at a work event, I'll just play on a weekday at a place where I know I can get around in well under 4 hours.

11. I bought one of those nets. Used it a few times... until I skulled a pitch. I sent the ball over the neighbor's house across the street, through his backyard and into some chick's Mustang - which set off her car alarm.
    It was a good size net too.
    Thankfully no damage to the Mustang.

I plan to play more. Hopefully get back into my Tuesday night league - for the first time in about seven years. I walk 9 holes for $12.

12. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I try to get close to 50 rounds a year, not easy in a big city. Mediocre at best, but totally hooked. Love spending four hours in fresh air. Good exercise. Usually walk and carry the bag.

Have noticed courses much less crowded the past few years. Good for me. Bad for the business.

Double Down likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted