1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2015 golf thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Feb 6, 2015.

1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

What did you expect after four days of driver/short iron? Let's see . . . holes at Pebble Beach where tour pros reach the green with 9-iron or less: 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 11, 14, 15, 16, 18. This is nothing new, of course, but it makes the week-in and week-out PGA Tour unwatchable.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Don't forget amateurs play in all four rounds of this tournament. If they made the course too tough, the tourney might end the next Wednesday.
    Like most seaside courses, wind is Pebble's main line of defense. That there was no wind in February was just odd.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

This was about the "summer" weather more than the courses; we just had a good soaking a week ago which softened the greens and course then unbelievable sunshine and a total absence of wind made the courses easy; even Spyglass Hill was giving up good scores. Next year it will be different, you can count on that (well I hope we have more rain next year)

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Egads........that playoff was fun to watch.

Every course on Tour should have a risk-reward par 4 like 10 at Riviera. You can make 2 or you can make 6.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The 10th hole is so much fun.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly. And, Jesus, what happened to Sergio's drive on No. 18???

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Low and left in a hurry.
    Not as ugly as Paul Casey's sh-nk on 13........that he somehow still made 4 on.

8. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I prefer No. 4 at TPC Boston, but that's because I'm a homer.
    I'll tell you what - guys' eyes light up at that hole. It's a fun one to play regardless of level because you step up to the box and think a birdie is possible. Most groups I have play from the black tees which usually means 260 to the green. The whites are 232.
    I give the same speech to every group - "Guys, if you're playing for a score, sting something 160 yards up the left side and hit a wedge in. If you're playing for the story, take out the big stick and go for it, because nobody wants to hear about how you laid it up and made birdie."

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

17 @ TPC-Scottsdale is very similar to that. It's not the tee shot that is difficult on that hole, but the second shot as well. Get a little gust of wind into your face, you're on the wrong side of the bunker, then chipping from the green over the bunker to the pin.

10. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Rory's going to miss the cut this week. Will be 11th missed cut on the PGA Tour. Just to compare to a random person...Tiger's missed 12 in his career.

Not that I expect Rory to take time off till he's tournament ready. Certainly the favorite at the Masters, but he's also a streaky guy, which makes him unstoppable when he's going well, but he can also struggle a bit for a few tourneys in a row when it goes wrong.

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I really do hope Rory gets a green jacket. When it's all said and done, that may be the one that he doesn't get though.......Arnold and Watson never got a PGA, Trevino never got a jacket........

Draft saved Draft deleted