1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2015 College Football Rankings thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Nov 3, 2015.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

In reading about the justification of Clemson as No. 1, I see that one thing that entered into it was Clemson's having beaten Appalachian State (giving Clemson another win over an FBS team that's above 0.500). Oh, how those Happy Appies have risen! Shittin' in tall cotton now!

Big Circus likes this.
  2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Toledo shit its pants out of the picture last night after losing to Northern Illinois 32-27, at home.

RubberSoul1979 likes this.
  3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Its a crazy world where undefeated Memphis, with a win over the team who beat Alabama, would be the weird pick.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Memphis certainly has a great win, but they also gave up 46 points to Cincinnati, 42 to Tulsa, 41 to Bowling Green and 23 to freakin' Kansas.

They're ranked about where they should be. If they win out, they'll have a chance.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

That, dammit.

poindexter likes this.
  6. Steak Snabler

Totally agree with that. I figured Alabama would be 6 or 7, behind Clemson, LSU, TCU, Ohio State, Baylor and maybe Michigan State.

7. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Not sure what an Appie is, but in case you haven't noticed App State is looking like it may run the table on the Sun Belt in its first year of bowl eligibility. What was scheduled as a cupcake for Clemson could end up looking like a pretty decent win at the end of the season.

Folks around the mountain are damn happy with the move up to Div I-A. And I have to admit, I thought it was a huge mistake. I never expected them to be bowl eligible this quickly.

8. Steak Snabler

Yeah, App State is the class of the Sun Belt this year, for what that's worth (a mid-to-late December trip to the New Orleans Bowl, I suppose).

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I was on the faculty there for awhile more than a decade ago, and even then there was a huge constituency that wanted to be at least nominally in with the big boys. That segment had never been happy with the second-class designation implied by I-AA. So, they put their money where their heart was and the school made it happen. I'm happy for 'em.

Oh, and the Happy Appie bit is a semi-derogatory nickname thrown their way by non ASU types (and sometimes by ASU types as well). Also, sometimes it's Crappy Appie.

10. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I've only heard it used in a derogatory way, hence my (non-blue font) sarcasm. But I haven't spent a ton of time in Boone, either.

I really believed they'd struggle with the move up. I still am not convinced the state can support seven I-A programs with Charlotte and App now at that level. But I suppose that doesn't mean that App itself can't make it.

11. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

Speaking of Northern Illinois, I hope Paxton Lynch -- if he plays in a major bowl -- winds up with a better postseason legacy than his namesake (Jordan). I hope he doesn't get manhandled like Colt Brennan in the Sugar Bowl, either.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Other than Daniel, who has?

doctorquant likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted