1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2015 College Football Rankings thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I don't remember; since you're asking, I presume they weren't.

I'd sure as hell rather be No. 5 than No. 9.

Speaking of whom, Iowa, at No. 9, could very possibly win out, win the B1G title game, finish 13-0 and still not make it.

Their final four regular-season games are at Indiana, vs. Minnesota, vs. Purdue and vs. Nebraska. They could win each of those games 50-0 and they won't be getting brownie point and leapfrogging anybody.

If Iowa went into the B1G title game ranked No. 6 and was playing a No. 4 or 5 OSU or Sparty, a win might not be enough to get them in.

So no, the rankings do not mean "nothing." They don't mean a hell of a lot, but they do matter.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Can't say I'm surprised...

-- Posted Oct. 3.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I believe I heard somewhere that Ohio State opened at No. 16 in the first BCS poll last year.

4. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Didn't last year's Ohio State have an early season loss?

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yes, they lost to Virginia Tech in their second game. And yes, they were No. 16 in the first rankings.

But again, in the initial rankings last year, Florida State was 3, Oregon was 5, Alabama was 6. All three of them made the final four.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Using Iowa as an example, they only need to catch one team- the winner of the OSU-MSU game. A 13-0 Big 10 team will absolutely be in the Final Four.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

They gotta catch whoever is in 4th place.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

No they don't. Just win the Big 10 and stay unbeaten and they're in.

9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Part of me says they put Bama at four just because LSU-Bama is the same week and everyone can go nuts about a match-up of No. 2 vs. No. 4 instead of if they had just put all the undefeateds in a row and Alabama was like 11th. If Alabama loses, well they are going to take a tumble and not be mentioned the rest of the rankings. But if Alabama wins, then next week's anticipation is going to be crazy because the only other match-up that has implications without a huge upset is TCU-Okla. State.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

We went down this road last year, but the whole system would collapse if the committee put a one-loss team from one of the five conferences ahead of an undefeated team from another. They'll make judgment calls among teams with equal records, as they did last year, but not unequal ones.

11. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

How do you find 12 people that are so damn clueless?

12. YorksArcades

YorksArcades Active Member

Wondering the same thing.

I get the SOS claim, too, but we're barely into November.

Draft saved Draft deleted