1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2015-2016 Hot Stove League Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Now that that's over...

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Has Alex Gordon played his last game for the Royals?

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Gotta love that a Royals fan is already talking about his team losing a key player before they even get to the parade.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

As nutty as this may sound, maybe the Mets should try for a six-man rotation for most of next season if they can to try to avoid the aftereffects of the this year's innings jump with their young pitchers and make sure they're more rested if they make the playoffs again. DeGrom looked worn out, Matz doesn't seem quite ready for a full innings load yet, and heaven forbid if Harvey gets hurt again.

They'll have their four young guys, plus Niese, and they're supposed to get Wheeler back roughly halfway through the season. Maybe see if Colon is willing to come back on a one-year deal to start the first half and then jump in if someone gets hurt?

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I assume Mattingly and Black will officially be named to their new jobs today. So that leaves just the Dodgers without a manager. Gabe Kabler maybe?

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I'm thinking about a dynasty here. :)

Realistically, next year might have to be the year if they're going to do it again. Hosmer, Morales and a bunch of others are free agents in 2017.

If they can re-sign two of the three among Gordon, Zobrist and Davis I'll be thrilled.

7. Steak Snabler

I believe Davis' is a club option at $8 million, which surely the Royals will exercise.

The Royals also have a $500,000 buyout on Alcides Escobar's $5.25 million club option, but I can't imagine they'd buy that out, either.

Gordon's is a player option at $12.5 million, but I'm guessing he'll void that and test the market.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Gordon has a player option at $12.5M for 2016, right? Is he going to decline that? I'd let go a 31-year-old corner IF/OF with a career slugging % of .435 and no more than 20HRs in a season if he's asking for a raise more than $12.5M. It all really depends on how much these guys are asking for. Zobrist at $7-10M a year for two years would be decent, but given his age, you don't want to go much more than that.

I'd certainly pick up the $8 million on Davis.

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Every time I see Gabe's name, I think: what does he know besides poker and teaching school?

Songbird likes this.
  10. Steak Snabler

Gordon's defense (plus a .377 OBP) makes him worth more than $12.5 million, especially in this era of baseball. Plus, he'll have that championship glow. Someone like the Red Sox or Angels will throw a ton of money at him.

I think he tests the market.

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

The Astros and White Sox are supposed to be interested. Think he'd make sense in either spot.

With so much of his value coming from defense, Fenway is either the perfect place for him to land or would completely neutralize that part of his game. I can't figure out which.

12. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

They definitely have more very good starters than very good relievers.

Draft saved Draft deleted