1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2015-16 NFL coaching carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

How many different plays did Lombardi's Packers run. Less than 20 for sure, maybe more like a dozen. If you have great players who know their offense inside out, it doesn't have to be a playbook like a phone book.

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Defenses are a little more advanced, too. You can't be too simple.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Belichick has long been a master of that last part.

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I think Whisenhunt is a crappy coach, but it's bullshit that he got fired a season and a half into his tenure after inheriting a dogshit team and having to start a backup QB in almost every game. I don't think he was ever going to be worth a damn, but if I were a coaching candidate, I'd think extremely hard about signing on with an organization that fired a coach under those circumstances.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Oh, c'mon.

6. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Whisenhunt may be a nice guy, but he's a horrible coach of epic proportions. The numbers don't lie.

When Kurt Warner's name comes up for Hall of Fame consideration, the fact that he took a team coached by Whisenhunt to the Super Bowl may be the most influential argument that can be made.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Whisenhunt's record speaks for itself, but his goose was fkambeed and plated when Mariota got hurt. Without the progress or lack thereof of a highly regarded rookie QB to follow, all that was left for fans and management to see was a really lousy team and a coach to match. So the "new coach for a new era" story line was moved up a half season.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

As usual.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

If Peter King told me today was Wednesday, I would still look at a calendar.

sgreenwell likes this.
  11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

This isn't Russia. Is this Russia?

12. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Be nice, now.

Maybe PK had an NFL PR person telling him he had to write that Whisenhunt's job was in danger, then telling him he should stick up for Whisenhunt.

Sometimes you have to trade those kinds of things to ensure you get access.

Draft saved Draft deleted