1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2015-16 NFL coaching carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Oct 5, 2015.

1. If Kelly ends up anywhere near Maryland, he's star has most definitely fallen.
    He's easily the No. 1 target of college ADs looking for a HC.
    If I was Penn State, I'd be ALLLLLLLL over Kelly.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I don't think James Franklin's going anywhere.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Caldwell rocketing to the front of the next-to-be-fired list as the Lions are laying an epic shit against the Cardinals.

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Well, Caldwell doesn't look too worried or concerned anytime the director cuts away to him.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Mostly he looks comatose.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

A promising start, but Ruston Webster needs to join him on a leaky raft heading down the Cumberland.

Has a division ever had all its coaches fired in the same year?

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Although Whisenhunt just had to go given his recent record I noted on the other thread, the Titans need new, local ownership before they start completely cleaning house.

9. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I feel like:
    Draft new QB
    Have him start learning offense
    Fire Coach
    Force new QB to learn completely new offense

is not a path to success.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Unless the new coach's offense is better suited to Mariota's talents.

Which means of course the Titans are going to trade their upcoming No. 1 draft pick to the Eagles for Chip Kelly.

11. YorksArcades

YorksArcades Active Member

I wonder if NFL teams aren't going overboard with the complexity of their offenses.

For example, the Jets are floating on SOL Creek with 2 QBs hurt. They've known this since before the end of the game on Sunday and were supposedly calling free agents during the game.

Now we hear their oh-so-complicated offense is too tough for any QB to grasp in a week. I'm sure some of this is the usual Northeast media hyperbole, but is it really impossible to give a guy a scaled-down playbook and let him have at it when he has a solid week to prepare?

sgreenwell likes this.
  12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I'm positive they're going overboard with the "complexity" stuff because it helps puff up their job security and their mystique. For similar reasons, politicians love House of Cards, instead of Veep and Parks and Recreation. Better to be portrayed as the evil mastermind (Belichick) than someone who relies primarily on the talents and skills of others.

However, whether its the Patriots in the NFL or the Spurs in the NBA or Model Franchise X, there usually isn't some magic bullet to explain why they're doing so well. It's usually just some expansion on the old Branch Rickey idea of proper player valuation, and moving on from a player a year too early as opposed to a year too late.

Draft saved Draft deleted