1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2014 Tennis thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sportsnut2002, Jan 18, 2014.

1. sportsnut2002

sportsnut2002 Member

Haven't seen one yet, but if one pops up Mods can kills this off.
    Serena Williams just went down in Australia to Ana Ivanovic in three sets. Second straight year she loses to someone after winning the first set (Stephens). Williams kept missing so many backhands and Ivanovic looked awesome. She went for her shots and made them count.
    I wonder if Ivanovic can carry this through and win the tournament now, or will Azarenka take full advantage and storm through to the title.
    As for the men, are we destined for another Nadal-Djokovic final?

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Of course Williams has an undisclosed back injury that led her to lose in the 4th round.

3. sportsnut2002

sportsnut2002 Member

Yeah, funny how that wouldn't have come up if she had won. To be fair, though, I watched the whole presser and Williams did give a good amount of praise to Ivanovic for her play in the match.

4. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Nadal is a true competitor. Love watching him play.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Azarenka's road to the title certainly got easier with both Williams and Sharapova going out. She's the favorite, but she doesn't strike me as so invincible that she couldn't fall to an upset as well. Not like the old days when Navratilova, Evert, Graf or Seles almost never lost to anyone except each other.

Just like that, Ivanovic is ousted by Eugenie Bouchard, the greatest women's player in the history of Canadian tennis since.... well, ever. I wouldn't count out Radwanska, either.

6. sportsnut2002

sportsnut2002 Member

So much for my theory of Djokovic-Nadal being inevitable, as Wawrinka takes care of the defending champ in five sets this morning.
    Now we've got a Wawrinka-Berdych semifinal on one side, with Nadal likely to win his quarterfinal. As for the other quarter, I have no clue who wins.
    Is it fair to say now Murray, Nadal or Federer, whichever likely comes out of the top half of the bracket on the men's side, will win the title? Dimitrov could somehow pull off the big one against Nadal, but I'm not counting on it.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

When Djokovic came back to win the fourth set against Wawrinka, I thought he would pull out the match. He's in good condition and has played a lot of five setters. The last couple of points in the last game were very strange, but Djokovic had given himself no margin for error.

Lots of credit to Wawrinka.

I think Federer has a good shot to beat Murray in their quarterfinal and we might get another Federer vs. Nadal match. Nadal is still my pick to win the title.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Until Bouchard wins a Slam or three WTA events, she's still looking up at the immortal Carling Bassett.

9. sportsnut2002

sportsnut2002 Member

We will get Federer-Nadal in the semis after both got through their matches. Nadal had to fight back after dropping the first set. Federer lost a few match points in the third set, I believe (I didn't stay up to watch it, just read the review).
    I may force myself to get up early Friday morning and watch that match live. I don't know how many more times they'll meet in a Slam.
    And I wish someone would offer Azarenka a million dollars to not do her yelling, or screaming, or owl impersonation, whatever it is she does in match.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I actually watched a little bit of that match, and Federer looked a whole lot like Federer -- the one who hoisted all those trophies, not the guy who impersonated him last year. Roger was downright surgical. I'd love to see him win another major here.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's a tough one.

[​IMG]

^^^^^Has the looks, but awkward.

[​IMG]

^^^^^Yow. Za.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Gosh, I had almost forgotten about Bassett. I wouldn't call Bouchard the favorite, but it wouldn't be a complete shock for her to win the thing. Semifinals are Bouchard against Li Na and Radwanska against Cibulkova. I'd pick Radwanska, but not put a ton of money on it.

Love the way Federer is playing, but he's still a significant underdog against Nadal, even on a hard court.

Draft saved Draft deleted