1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2014 NHL Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Totally missed that the Phoenix Coyotes are now the Arizona Coyotes.

3. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

Oilers trade Sam Gagner for Teddy Purcell. I like the deal for the Oilers. They were sour on Sam and got a decent return for a former 8 point per game player.

Lightning then trade B.J.Crombeen and Sam Gagner to the Coyotes for a 6th round pick.

Is there something I am missing here about next years draft or was this a move to help the Coyotes reach the cap floor. Clearly those two players should fetch more than a 6th round pick individually.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Tampa clearing cap space. That's all this is.

5. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Yeah, looking at Capgeek I don't think the Coyotes were worried about meeting the floor even before the trade. I'm actually surprised at how many $4M+ guys they have.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Tampa also kept a third of Gagner's salary.

7. Rainman

I know what Tampa was doing...

I just do not see how it is possible to be allowed... two of them for a 6th round pick? Come on. They can fetch one each if not higher.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Because Tampa was going to buy him out otherwise. That's why they kept a third of his salary.

9. Rainman

Spezza gone to Dallas.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Very familiar with Nick Paul, one of the prospects who went from Dallas to Ottawa. Huge body, big-time upside, he will play in the NHL one day and is a serious candidate to make the Canadian junior team this winter.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Minnesota Wild sign free agent forward Thomas Vanek. Good scorer, at least at times, and should help, especially if they don't re-sign Matt Moulson.

Wild need to figure out their goaltending situation. They used five different starters last season and there are questions with each of the five. Thought they might take a shot at Jonas Hiller, but he signed with Calgary instead. There are, of course, other options after today. And they might decide to go with one of their current players or re-sign Ilya Bryzgalov. But they need to go to camp with a clear No. 1 goalie and not be playing musical chairs all season if they're serious about moving up the chain in the Western Conference.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Ryan Miller signing with Vancouver seems curious to me. He's 33 and stated last year he wanted to be traded from Buffalo to a team that could win a championship sooner rather than later. So how does Vancouver fit that bill?

I'm wondering if some people in the Vancouver front office and coaching staff wish they had held on to Cory Schneider.

Draft saved Draft deleted