1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2014 NHL Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Now that that's over…

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Camps open in about 100 days.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

What new way will the Blues find to shit the bed in the playoffs in 2014-15? Going all in on Ryan Miller insures that the team's fate rests on Jake Allen in goal.

4. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Draft is in two weeks.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Kings, Dynasty in the Making. Yay or Nay?

6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Nay. As Mark stated over on the playoffs thread, too much parity.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Bruins deny Marchard for Marleau report.

8. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

They won a couple of games by an inch or two. They could have lost all four series this spring. Hardly a dynasty in the making.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Will be interested to see whom the Pittsburgh Penguins hire as head coach? Did they ditch the entire staff or is Tony Granato still around?

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Don't bet the Sharks in the Stanley Cup futures.

--GM Doug Wilson says they're a "tomorrow team." They've never been in rebuild mode since he took over more than 10 years ago. They already let Dan Boyle go, but that was expected.

--Couple weeks ago Wilson said, "I want players that want to play here, not just live here." The place is known as a bit of a paradise for players because it has great weather, a fawning fan base, and especially some anonymity as hockey is a low priority and low-pressure environment. Wilson's comment was a direct shot at Patrick Marleau and especially Joe Thornton. Problem is, in January Wilson signed both players for three more years and gave them trade veto power.

--They're starting to be in a world of hurt business-wise because the previous management made a horrible decision five years ago to sign a 20-year deal with the local Comcast affiliate at $7M per. That was before the cable explosion and it leaves them hopelessly lagging not only against the league leaders (Toronto, Rangers) but compared with the Kings and Ducks too. It's bad enough that Bettman is trying to get Comcast corporate to do something; yeah, totally, when Comcast has someone over a barrel they're totally into being nice and giving in. The whole thing is bad enough that it has the mysterious new owner starting to cackle (through his underlings) about moving. http://www.mercurynews.com/sharks/ci_25983493/purdy-bad-tv-deal-could-threaten-sharks-ability

--They also shitcanned their TV analyst, Drew Remenda, which I can't figure out because people really like him and he has been there forever. I think they're just going younger and cheaper; he is critical once in a while but mostly a homer, though an entertaining one.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I like Remenda. He used to be on Hockey Night in Canada with Jim Hughson.

I don't bet on the Sharks to do anything..... except choke. They're on the same list with the Toronto Maple Leafs and Vancouver Canucks as classic underachievers. If they don't clean house after this spring's playoff catastrophe, they never will.

12. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I remember Remenda on HNIC. He was awful.

And in order for the Leafs to have been underachievers, they'd first had to have been talented.

Draft saved Draft deleted