1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2014-15 NBA Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Oct 13, 2014.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Two 1s, two 2s, and $27 million for 65 games played. Awesome.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Fuck that fucking piece of trash asshole.

3. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Think it's safe to say he'll retire as the only MVP to never make the finals.

4. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

My predictions for the season:

1 Clippers
    2. Spurs
    3 Warriors
    4. Thunder
    5 Mavericks
    6 Blazers
    7 Memphis
    8Phoenix

1 Cavs
    2 Bulls
    3 Miami
    4 Charlotte
    5 Raptors
    6 Wizards
    7 Pistons
    8 Nets

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

That's a lot of confidence in the Hornets right there. And unless Wade's knees are much better, I can't see the Heat winning more than 40. They have nothing after Bosh and Wade which is even slightly above average.

6. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I went to Phil's talk and that was said in jest. Well, I'm sure Phil meant it and got in his little dig, but he said it in a joking way and the crowd laughed. And the video Spike made aired last night and was pretty good (and Phil's in it). The whole talk was a blast, and the whole time all I could think of was: Why, god, did the Lakers not hire him in 2012? I don't care if he was going to only coach home games. The guy just has an aura.

Vols, I still think the Paul trade is much, much, much more damaging to the Lakers than the Nash deal. Obviously if the Paul deal happens they never need Nash. But one was simply a normal transaction that didn't have a happy ending, the type of signing and trade that happens all the time. I loved them getting Nash at the time so I've never really bitched about everything that came after. Feel terrible for the guy because he got hurt in his second game with LA and that was basically the end, even if it officially didn't end for two more years.

The Paul deal, on the other hand, was unprecedented in NBA history. The whole thing jolted the franchise. First they lost the best PG in the game. Second they lost the guy who would have taken over from Kobe. Third it sent Odom, sixth man of the year a few months earlier, into a tailspin that ruined his career.

God damn that trade and Dan Gilbert and his stupid letters bitching about competitive balance.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Cavs v The Field. Even Money bet? And for all those so willing to take the load off James and allow that the Cavs may need more than a year to learn how to work together, besides it being a bullshit media argument so journalists can give LeBron a built in excuse and have something to talk about on the endless basketball radio and cable shows, how about the other teams?
    Easier for LeBron to learn to work with his Cavs teammates than Wade and Bosh can learn how to win without James.
    How about Chicago learning to incorporate Derreck Rose who has only played 49 of the Bulls last 246 regular season games?

This is James' championship to lose this year.

8. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

To win the East, yeah. To win the whole thing? I'll take whoever comes out of the West over the.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Warriors co-owner Peter Guber apologizes for, ahem, inadvertently saying he is going to learn "hoodish" to keep up with this year's team.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/warriors-co-owner-apologizes-to-employees-for-using--hoodish--in-email--says-he-meant--yiddish--063859678.html

An internal email noted that the Warriors have five international players, and Guber replied with "I’m taking rosetta stone to learn Hungarian Serbian Australian swahili and hoodish This year. But it's nice."

"I intended to type Yiddish. Either my mobile fone [sic] autocorrected or it was typed wrong. In any event I regret if anyone was unintendedly [sic] offended."

It would be odd for Guber to feel the need to learn Yiddish, as the Warriors do not have a player from Israel.

These guys need to just keep off their fucking email.

10. JackReacher

East
    1. Chicago
    2. Cleveland
    3. Washington
    4. Toronto
    5. Miami
    6. Atlanta
    7. Charlotte
    8. Detroit

West
    1. San Antonio
    2. Oklahoma City
    3. Los Angeles Clippers
    4. Houston
    5. Golden State
    6. Portland
    7. Dallas
    8. New Orleans

NBA Finals: Chicago def. San Antonio in 7.
    MVP: LeBron James
    ROY: Dante Exum

11. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

NBA MVP prediction: LeBron James - Might be the last year he wins it and will have at least Davis and CP3 amongst others chasing him, it will be a tight win.

Rookie of Year Prediction: Wiggins - Parker will be right there with him, this one will be close and team standing could play a roll. There is a few others who could surprise, but not for the award barring injury.

Defensive Player of Year prediction: Anthony Davis

Most Improved Player prediction: Jonas Valanciunas - I'm expecting this is the year Jonas steps up his overall game and will show enough overall improvement to justify being in the mix with other potentials like Michael Kidd-Gilchrist (if he can gain confidence in that nice looking new jumper he's been showing) and Larry Sanders (hard not to improve off that disaster season).

12. JackReacher

Pretty awesome news for Lakers fans. Julius Randle broke his leg last night.

Draft saved Draft deleted