1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2013 Golf Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Small Town Guy, Jan 18, 2013.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The AP story said he sat in his car with his publicist for 40 minutes, then they got out of the car and talked to a PGA Tour media rep for another 20 minutes. Golf Channel was stalling the whole time waiting for him.

[​IMG]

"I don't wanna say I'm sorry!"

[​IMG]

"You will say you're sorry and you will like it!"

2. Uncle Frosty

Uncle Frosty Member

PGA to journalists: Fuck you.

As you know, our media regulations prohibit the use of real-time, play-by-play transmission in digital outlets. In order to enforce these regulations, beginning this year, we will revoke the on-site credentials of all journalists affiliated with outlets that post play-by-play coverage, whether those posts are originating from tournament site or otherwise.

Best,

Ty

Ty M. Votaw

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Mr. Votaw is employed by the PGA Tour, based in Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
    The PGA is a separate organization, governing club professionals. They're in Palm Beach Gardens, FL
    This has been thus since 1968. You'd think after 45 years, sportswriters would get it right.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Incredibly well done piece on the reasons why Tiger keeps changing his swing. People have tried to capture the essence of this before, but never nailed it quite so well, I think. Geniuses tinker. They obsses. They can't leave almost perfect alone.

http://es.pn/WFJXnn

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

BTW:

Tiger's new girlfriend......

Lindsey Vonn

(insert hole in one joke here.)

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I never thought I would read such a long piece on swing changes. That was fantastic. Thanks for posting it.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I get that. The Tour has partnerships with both television networks and its own website that provide play-by-play stuff. Last thing they needed is some newspaper blogger or website trying to duplicate that.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

But a fan can sit in front of his TV and tweet and blog away.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

1. Why would an established media outfit do this?
    2. Since Twitter and blogs are basically live-action notebooks, how does this apply to random items from a mass event like a golf tournament, with hundreds of stories going on simultaneously.
    3. Guardian in Great Britain does live action play-by-play blogs off many events around the world in real time that're obviously done off TV. If it wasn't legal, wouldn't someone have stopped them by now?

10. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Drives me nuts, too. When we had a PGA Tour event in town at my last job the news staff always referred to the "PGA" event and never got it through their heads when I'd tell them that was a different organization entirely.

11. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

You might have jumped the gun there about Tiger being a JAG ...

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I can't imagine it would be illegal. I'm just saying sports organizations --- whether it be the PGA Tour, NCAA, NFL or whoever --- feel an obligation to protect their investment as best they can. They would prefer you get your information from their official, authorized sources. If people don't, those sources lose some of their value.

Legal action is probably a huge waste of time, but they can at least deny media credentials and not allow phones and other gadgets on the course. That's about all they can do.

Draft saved Draft deleted