1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2013 Golf Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Small Town Guy, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Major appearance guarantees have the potential to ruin golf as they did tennis. Part of the appeal of the sport is that everyone --- from the superstars to the no-names --- play by the same rules.

I realize the major tournaments won't pay guarantees and I hope the PGA Tour will not, either. Slippery slope there.

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Mickelson says he's being taxed to death and news of "major changes" is forthcoming. I'll pass the hat at the office tomorrow.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Here's one of the early stories: http://golfweek.com/news/2013/jan/20/mickelson-vows-drastic-changes-wake-higher-taxes/

According to Phil's own estimate of his increased tax burden, and if he makes the same money on and off course this year as last, he will have to scrape by on $18 million.

Those making $50,000 a year pretty much don't give a fuck what your tax problems are Lefty.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If he renounces his citizenship, don't let him back in.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Rail on him all you want, but people change their behavior when the government sticks its hands deeper into their pockets. Phil is nowhere near the first person to do so and he will not be the last.

Hell, Patron Saint of the Left John Kerry did similar stuff to avoid taxes.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

These guys always mention what their rate is before they throw in the loopholes, breaks and deductions.

7. Michael_ Gee

Golfers, who I admire for their skills, are pathetic whiners about tough life is. Then they wonder why non sports people think they are weenies.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Tough for a golfer is a 7 a.m. tee time, a courtesy car that isn't one of your endorsers and flying commercial.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Poor baby!

Most all elite pro athletes are spoiled people who are hopelessly out of touch with the real world.

Hey, Phil, you could donate next week's earnings to charity! Many working class stiffs won't see $1 million in their entire lifetimes, so it's hard to feel a great deal of sympathy for your financial woes. KPMG (or whoever the bleep you endorse on your visor) should be able to help you with that.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Fuck I'm Taxed Too Much, Just Ask Me.

11. Michael_ Gee

Does Phil plan on missing a few cuts for accounting purposes?

12. GeorgeFHayek

GeorgeFHayek Member

While Phil's not all that sympathetic here, pro golfers are very good examples of the effects of changes in marginal rates. If you just look at the golf portion of their income -- not endorsements, etc., just golf -- an increase in marginal rates is almost guaranteed to result in their playing fewer tournaments. A touring pro's travel overhead is fixed, and his income in a given week is iffy. The change in tax rates shifts the expected cost/benefits calculus such that it's almost a mathematical certainty that the established stars will be playing fewer tournaments, and the ones they'll play will have the richer purses. Bad news if you're running one of those mid-tier events, because you're going to have fewer big names in your field.

Draft saved Draft deleted