1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2013 Golf Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Small Town Guy, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

What a season this will be. Man. Rory looking to have a Tiger-in-2000 type season. Tiger trying, and probably failing, to gain on Jack. Young guns looking to break through at a major. The President's Cup!

And it all kicked off in Abu Dhabi. Rory vs. Tiger. In the desert. It's on.

And it's over.

http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/8856358/tiger-woods-rory-mcilroy-miss-cut-abu-dhabi

Rory looks horrible with his new Nike equipment; switched putters already. Tiger looks slightly less terrible but misses the cut after getting a 2-shot penalty.

So, not the greatest way to start the year. But still should be a fun year. Rory's not scheduled to play again until Match Play. Tiger's at Torrey next week.

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Certainly we assume McIlroy and Tiger got a nice appearance fee for their season debuts in Abu Dhabi. Think they'll give any of it back after missing the cut?

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Justice would say they'd give half back, but forget it. Read in the Guardian Woods got $3 million.

4. trifectarich

Maybe Tiger could buy a rule book to read on the plane back to the U.S.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Not really what Nike had in mind.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Tiger was at -2 on No. 9 yesterday and promptly topped his drive about 60 yds. Seriously. Just wow.

http://www.golfchannel.com/media/european-tour-011613-abu-dhabi-round1-woods-poor-tee-shot/

He's a JAG now (just another guy); line him up with Lucas Glover/Kuchar/Watney and they'd have about the same chance to win a major this year.

7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

So are we saying the same thing for Rory, who looked pathetic for two days?

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I was watching that live as it happened and I was like, "How's he getting a free drop there?"

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Well not me, Rory's got 2 majors the last 2 years. The equipment thing will get worked out; Phil went to Cally and won a few majors; Tiger left Titleist and he won I think 13 of his 14 majors with Nike gear.

10. trifectarich

I was only listening half-heartedly to the radio in the car this afternoon; did I hear that Rory already ditched his new putter for Round 2 in Abu Dhabi?

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Yes. He should have also ditched the utility club he used to duck hook a ball over the grandstand in the first round.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Rory hasn't made a lot of missteps in crafting his brand (ugh, I hate that term), but making a move like that after one round, two days after your big splash announcement? Not the way to start a new relationship.

Draft saved Draft deleted