1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2012 NFL coaches carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

He wins just enough games each year to keep his carcas away from the fire. That will catch up to him at some point though.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing Sunday night as his defense was getting torched by the Giants. Why the architect of what has been an awful defense be such a "hot" name as a potential head coach? The only answer is that his brother has been a moderate success with the Jets.

The difference is that his brother was the architect of a record-setting defense in Baltimore, while Rob has had a couple of good defenses with teams like the Raiders.

Rex > Rob.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Or New York, if the Maras consult the actuarial tables, one more time . . .

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Can't that be said about any coach who wins?

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, I'd hate to have a coach who gets 10 wins every year and has won four playoff games in two years...

I know he's a loudmouth. I know he gets more attention than he deserves because of where he coaches, but he's doing something right.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Add Eric Berry to the list, as well.

Ridiculous firing.

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Fewell? Really? Is the Giants defensive performance that impressive considering the talent on it? and he is 2 weeks removed from saying that his unit didn't show up ready to play.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It just seems like his name has come up for openings the last couple years. Whether that's because of the Rooney Rule or because he's an assistant on the rise, I don't know...

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I for one can't understand why Jim Caldwell is still employed by the Colts.

Yes, they lost their best player - but have we ever seen a team just absolutely quit and mail in a season the way this group has?

I mean, nobody should have expected them to contend for a playoff berth or even maybe get to 8-8 but this is an embarrassment and Caldwell has shown ZERO leadership ability in this situation. They have better players than 0-13 or whatever they are, especially when you factor in some of the -- what was it 69-10 against the Saints - the disgraceful displays of a lack of effort.

At least the Dolphins and Chiefs were still trying.

And by the way - if anyone wondered who was more important to their team and who was more a product of a system Brady or Manning - the Patriots with Matt Cassell went 11-5.

As much respect as I had for Manning before this season - I am now convinced he is the best ever.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Nah, even with Manning the Colts would be 6-10 this year at best. That is a terrible defense, and their skill-position personnel other than QB is noticeably lacking too.

And the Patriots are 10-3 with the same general mix as the Colts -- they have slightly more talent and infinitely better coaching, but my guess is if you took Brady out and put in Brian Hoyer, the Pats would be about 4-9, maybe 5-8. That '08 team still had all the other personnel from the 18-1 group.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've got to think Miami is the best job out there. Sure they are 4-9 now, but they are also +10 on points differential, so it isn't like you have to tear everything down and start over. Of course, I know a lot of coaches prefer to do it that way in that it buys them an extra year.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Any team that wants him is free to take him. Giants D has been awful under him (some injuries notwithstanding).

Draft saved Draft deleted