1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2012 Hurricane Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, May 25, 2012.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I have friends in low places.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Mitch the Bitch a tad premature calling it a Cat 1 already. Yet walking a tightrope not wanting to startle the herd. Interesting.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Could be a damn soggy Texas A&M-Louisiana Tech game in Shreveport Thursday night.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

A friend who lives right in the cone is supposed to start her next round of cancer treatment on Thursday. Instead, I think she might be evacuating. Ugh.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Be perfectly happy if Isaac shot its wad on Morgan City and left the rest of the state alone like Lili did. I lived there as a kid. Gotta have something there to damage and there ain't shit.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

What's the name of the board favorite weather girl? I always seem to forget her name until hurricane season.

7. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

No one has died here because of the storm, so far I haven't heard about significant property damage (but then, Comcast went out last night around 9 so I've missed much of the local news), electrical outages seem limited (and not at my house) so I'm not complaining.

This is what a couple of days of Hurricane feeder bands will do.

[​IMG]

The picture was taken maybe a mile from my house. The main street out of my development that runs down to that one was flooded about an hour ago when I walked the dogs during what I thought was a lull in the rain. I don't know why I didn't take the thunder and lightening as a clue to stay indoors. I don't know why the drivers of the two cars I watched go through the barriers with the "Road Closed" sign didn't take that as a clue, either.

Around 2:00 the town started its automatic calling system telling residents to stay indoors because of flooding and road closures. No signs that the rain is going to let up in the next few hours.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

On the bright side, once the worst of it is over on the coast, most of that rain will make it to some areas that really need it.

9. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

Stephanie Abrams.
    She went to Florida.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Key West, specifically. She's the anti-Danger Jim. If she appears in your town, chances are any storm impact will be minimal.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Yes. That cone posted above is just what the Midwest needs.

But I really hate stating that knowing that the Gulf -- an area I really have an affinity for -- is going to take the hit.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

As these things go, this is shaping up to be manageable. Predicting a hit right along the mouth of the Mississippi River as a strong Cat 1 or weak Cat 2. Hurricane warnings canceled for the Panhandle. There's going to be damage ahead, but not remotely close to Katrina levels.

Best thing this sucker can do is keep right on moving, and it is forecasted to do so.

Draft saved Draft deleted