1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2012 Hurricane Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, May 25, 2012.

1. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I've been going to NOAA, Weather Channel, local news.

TWC guys are now reporting there are two models, the GFS and the European, one is putting Ivan hitting NO and the other says Pensacola. I've been going in and out of TV hearing distance so if they gave an explanation of the two models I missed it. Hurricane warning has been issued for area covering both models.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Mandatory evacuations for St Charles Parish, east bank of Plaquemines Parish, Grand Isle, La., and coastal areas of Mobile and Baldwin counties in Alabama.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The trend has been pushing it farther west, so I'd be watching the west side of the cone, which is not good for NOLA. Unless it can shift enough west to where it can pull a Lili and spend its wrath on the Atachafalaya Basin instead.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Scariest thing about how the forecast keeps tracking west, is that means it'll spend more time over the warmest part of the Gulf. Right now they've been projecting Cat 2 at landfall, but it wouldn't surprise me if we see it blow up big-time Monday and Tuesday.

5. Football_Bat

Just saw on TWC that dry air over the Yucatan is impacting the southern half of the storm. That is keeping it from blowing up — for now.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Right. Katrina was far from the most powerful hurricane on record. What made it so bad was that it was so big and so slow-moving. It just stayed out over the Gulf and churned and churned.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Given the way the vagrants trashed it during Katrina, I'm not all that suprised. Landrieu probably got a call on the bat phone from Tom Benson saying "whatever the hell you do, keep the riff-raff out of the building."

Speaking of hurricanes and sports, if New Orleans does get hit again, can the Hornets please leave for good?

8. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

With the new look, is it still possible to ignore posters?

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Some trains are never late.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

'fraid not.

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Damn. Many friends and relatives in the cone now. Best wishes, good people.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Football_Bat

You have friends in South Arkansas? :D

It won't be a Katrina by any means. A Cat 1 is water off a duck's back.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted