1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2012 Hurricane Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, May 25, 2012.

1. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

News here still has it making (second after the Keys) landfall in the Panhandle or Alabama as a Category 2, but it has shifted west and New Orleans is on the edge of the cone.

I think I'm experiencing the first of the feeder bands at my house. I didn't understand why the news guys were telling us to stay home as I sat in my office looking north. Then I went into the kitchen for another cup of coffee, looked out a south facing window and saw what was coming.

It still doesn't sound like it will be that bad in central Palm Beach County as long as no tornados develop. A watch has been issued for the entire day.

2. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Prayers to all in the path, whatever it is. Also echo the sentiments regarding rain in the Midwest, they surely need it.

Gas? This hurricane combined with the refinery in Venezuela blowing up, who knows? Except it won't be good.

3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I see it tracking a bit west of New Orleans now in some models. Isn't that really bad as far as storm
    surge is concerned?

4. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

It's shifted a lot west even since I checked a few hours ago.

I thought the "bad" side of a hurricane was the east side.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Facebook friend from Nola had a picture of the empty water shelves at Walmart on Tchopitoulas. Mayor is supposed to have presser at 2:45 CDT.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It is. But if the hurricane has shifted west of you, you are closest to its east side.

7. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Friends in NOLA reporting long lines already forming at gas stations.
    Good to see people planning ahead. So many Floridians would be cooking out or sitting back and relaxing with a storm three days out.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

New Orleans mayor Mitch Landrieu just said there will be no shelters in the city, not even the Super Dome.

The model that came out this morning had the eastern eye wall literally passing over my apartment some time overnight Tuesday/Wednesday, but it could still drift westward. Anywhere relatively close west of here is bad news for us.

9. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if there's a noticeable uptick in people evacuating New Orleans. There's no excuse for people getting caught off guard.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The city is also a hell of a lot smaller than it was seven years ago so it's probably easier to get everybody out of town.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

What's the best site for hurricane path prediction? I've been going to NOAA and they still have Isaac making landfall east of New Orleans.

Edit: So does Wunderground.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Slappy will shit all over me for this, but I use the blog from our local weather guy James Spann.

http://www.alabamawx.com/

Usually the projections you see come in two different forms. The "cone of uncertainty" is from the National Huricane Center and is the "official" projection, like you see on the Danger Jim channel. This gets updates every 6 hours (maybe sooner if really close to U.S. landfall).

The "spaghetti strands" is the collection of all the different computer models. As it gets closer, the models tend to cluster together and you get a sense of where the storm is likely to go. The NHC uses this info to make its projection. Of course this time yesterday, the models were almost all saying Destin, and now they're saying Thibodeaux.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted