1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2012 Hurricane Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, May 25, 2012.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

What makes me nervous is that here on the Central Gulf Coast (between Houston and Pensacola), we haven't had one AT ALL since 2008. Given the cycle of the last 30 or so years, we're about due:

1979 — Frederic (Mobile/Pensacola)
    1985 — Elena (Mississippi Coast)
    1992 — Andrew (cut across to Louisiana after it blasted south Florida)
    1998 — Georges (Mississippi Coast)
    2004 — Ivan (Mobile/Pensacola)
    2005 — Katrina and Rita (New Orleans/Mississippi Coast & southwestern Louisiana)
    2008 — Gustav and Ike (southwestern Louisiana & Galveston)

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Hello $4 a gallon.

3. Steak Snabler

I was living in Tuscaloosa when Gustav hit in 2008. Gas shot up to $5 a gallon there because it was right on the hurricane evacuation route. I had to carry my own gas in five-gallon cans to the Alabama at Georgia game because there was a shortage in Atlanta.

4. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

This is my second year living through a hurricane season in Florida. I was extremely worried about it last year and by June had stocked up on all kinds of crap - much to the amusement of all my long time Florida resident friends.

Of course, the irony was that the big hurricane that at one point was predicted to hit shore right around West Palm ended up veering north and doing a shit load of damage where I lived a few years ago - Glastonbury, CT. I never in a million years would have worried about hurricanes while living outside of Hartford.

I am going to get a generator one of these years. I'm still worried about getting through a hurricane.

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Oh yeah. Any chance the oil companies get to jack up prices, they'll take it.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

More like "Hello again."

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Much depends on when your house was built.

After 1992, fine.

Before 1992, not so fine.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I believe a lot of that had to do with Ike hitting Houston. Turns out the Houston refineries distributed gas to the Southeast while other parts of the country were served by refineries elsewhere and were unaffected.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Surprised there hasn't been much discussion of Isaac yet.

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20120822/NEWS/120822014/Tropical-Storm-Isaac-2012-likely-become-hurricane-path-threatens-Florida-southeastern-U-S-

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

We were afraid of it being labeled politics.

11. Steak Snabler

Based on current tracks, it's going to stay to the east of where I am, but the panhandle could get popped once it skips across south Florida into the Gulf.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I hope that fucker continues north if it hits the Panhandle and sits over the Midwest for a day or two. We need the rain.

Draft saved Draft deleted