1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2012 Hurricane Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, May 25, 2012.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

For the Pacific storms.

In the Atlantic, we've already had Alberto and Beryl. (although both only made tropical storm status).

3. mjslovin91

mjslovin91 Guest

I'm heading to the east coast, specifically coastal Maryland, soon to begin an internship. I'm a lifelong Midwesterner and I've dealt with tornadoes, but never a hurricane. How likely is it I'll encounter a tropical storm or hurricane over the summer out there?

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

There's a better chance you'll be attacked by a pack of rabid beavers.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Maybe you'll get some tropical (not hurricane) force winds once? When the storms get within a few hundred miles of the coast, the waves up and down the east coast get really fun to be in, if you're a good (better than just capable) swimmer. So if Bermuda is getting thrashed, or even grazed or just threatened, you'll have a blast playing in the ocean in Maryland.

6. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

Irene grazed the area last year. One of the trees in my backyard may never recover.

Maryland tends to get glancing blows from tropical storms and hurricanes.

7. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Yes, you need to be prepared. When weather forecasters are suggesting that everyone within a mile of the coast evacuates because of 8-foot waves and a storm surge, do the right thing: Grab your surfboard and go enjoy.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Bring it, bitches!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

If it comes ashore in the USA as a tropical storm or Cat 1, good. We need the rain. Anything else, no thank you.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Yep. I would love for that bad boy to be a Cat 1 and head due north up the Mississippi to give us a day or two of soaking rain.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Given the electrical-grid infrastructure in the region, a LITTLE wind and rain likely means losing power for at least three days.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I'll trade you that for the "120 Days of Wind."

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted