1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2012-2013 Hot Stove League Thread, aka Ervin's a Royal

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Not seeing that happening.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Where, then? Milwaukee? San Francisco? Detroit?

(I'd love to see him with the Braves, but that ain't happenin'.)

3. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

I'd love to be able to get down there and see some games. I bet they'd be pretty fun to watch.

4. Steak Snabler

Never been to the AFL, but the four days I spent at spring training in Arizona a few years back was one of the best baseball experiences of my life.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Detroit would be my guess. Mike Ilitch definitely doesn't care how bad the contract looks by Year 5. Not sure how many other teams fall into this category after the A-Rod precedent.

Don't see Milwaukee (too much $) or San Francisco (too much long-term risk). Best situation as he ages is going to be one that includes the option of significant DH time too.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

IF the Nats sign Bourn and LaRoche, Morse to some AL team with a spare reliever of considerable quality. Or starter. No-walkin' big bat for a big arm.

7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Veterans Committee Ballot for pre-integration era released:

Samuel Breadon
    Bill Dahlen
    Wes Ferrell
    Marty Marion
    Tony Mullane
    Hank O’Day
    Al Reach
    Jacob Ruppert
    Bucky Walters
    Deacon White

8. Steak Snabler

I don't see what purpose it serves to put in guys who are long dead (some for 50 years or more), but that's just me.

9. Steak Snabler

Giants do not plan to make qualifying offers to Pagan, Scutaro or Affeldt:

http://www.csnbayarea.com/baseball-san-francisco-giants/giants-talk/Giants-do-not-plan-to-make-qualifying-of?blockID=796599&feedID=10850&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

10. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

1) Bill Dahlen - One of the top players not in Cooperstown. I hope he is elected.

2) Deacon White - perhaps the best 19th century position player left on the board... my drawback is that his best statistical years came in the 1870s. Still, as a pioneering star he would be a fine addition.

3) Al Reach - I'm really happy that this guy is on the ballot. He is in my opinion one of the most influential contributors that hasn't been enshrined yet.

4) Tony Mullane - another solid 19th century choice, though I would have rather seen Bob Caruthers. Mullane's time in the American Association may be what keeps the board from voting for him.

5) Wes Ferrell - the pitcher with the 100 OPS+. His election would make some people on the board very happy. Interesting addition to the list of nominees.

6) Jacob Ruppert - Yankee owner for 25 years, purchased Babe Ruth and built Yankee Stadium. Pretty much makes him a viable candidate by default.

7) Bucky Walters - I think the committee had better choices at this point; Walters would be among the "cream of the crop" at the "bottom of the barrell" in Cooperstown.

8) Hank O'Day - player, manager, umpire... something to ponder for a few minutes. Ten world series managed, second only to Bill Klem's eighteen.

9) Samuel Breadon - third owner on the list, has the weakest resume though his Cardinal teams won an awful lot. Most of the credit goes to Branch Rickey. There were a number of other contributors I would have rather seen on the list. Or players for that matter.

10) Marty Marion - had half of Rabbit Maranville's career. Would be the worst SS in Cooperstown.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Doesn't mean much. A qualifying offer is $13.3 million for one year.

12. Steak Snabler

Just means they don't get draft pick compensation if the players leave via free agency. Sometimes, those picks turn into gold (see Mike Trout).

Draft saved Draft deleted