1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2012-2013 Hot Stove League Thread, aka Ervin's a Royal

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Oct 31, 2012.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I was offered a job today; that good news paled in comparison to the joy I felt when learning that Ervin Santana is no longer an Angel.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2012/10/31/ervin-santana-traded-to-royals/1672909/

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

So this makes how many "Hot Stove" threads now?

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Kill it off then; I searched Hot Stove, didn't see it.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I already demanded that my goddamn duplicate "MLB offseason thread" be deleted.

6. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

This is now the official one after my previous moderating butcher job.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Gonna put on my flack hat for a second for this PSA:

If you ever find yourself in the vicinity of the Arizona Fall League, and you're any kind of baseball fan, it is well worth your time to check out an AFL game or two. Other than the MLB postseason, it is absolutely my favorite baseball-going experience anywhere.

It's pure baseball — no between-innings music, no fan stunts, no exploding scoreboards, no marketing crap. Just 18 of the best prospects in the world on one field, playing their hearts out for a shot at a major league roster. And it's good baseball, too (though the pitching leaves a little to be desired.) I got to see Mike Trout and Bryce Harper playing next to each other in the same outfield last year. For most games, it's you and 200 scouts and a few senior citizens keeping score in the stands. And the weather is never better here than it is during the AFL.

Tomorrow begins our annual SABR Arizona Fall League Conference. We'll see four games in three days, including the nationally televised Rising Stars Game on Saturday night. We'll also have dinner with Roland Hemond and a ballpark cookout with Matt Williams, who's managing one of the AFL teams this year. It's a low-key affair, and I highly recommend it.

http://sabr.org/afl

Now, back to your regularly scheduled Hot Stoving ...

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

thanks, buck. i "listen" to just about everything you "say" about baseball ... until you start blathering about the braves, of course. ; P

9. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Jeremy Guthrie, Bruce Chen, Felipe Paulino, Luke Hochevar, Luis Mendoza.

Before that it was Kyle Davies and Jonathan Sanchez.

The Royals collect fifth starters like Rush Limbaugh collects OxyContin.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

MLB Trade Rumors has released its Top 50 free agents with predicted destinations. Among the notables:

Greinke back to the Angels
    Hamilton back to the Rangers
    Bourn to the Nationals
    B.J. Upton to the Phillies
    Swisher to the Orioles
    Victorino the Braves

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/10/2013-top-50-free-agents-with-predictions-1.html

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Santana gave up a MLB high 39 homers last year. Makes perfect sense for the Royals to get him.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

They also have LaRoche staying with the Nats, which means they believe Morse will be traded.

Draft saved Draft deleted