1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2011 College Coaching Changes Thread- Updates on Page 1

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Nov 27, 2011.

1. derwood

derwood Active Member

Re: Running 2011 College Coaching Changes Thread

Mostly because he recruited kids from PA who were rejected by Pitt and Penn State and used his Syracuse background to get some kids from NJ and downstate New York. Good enough for Big East but not ACC.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

He made UCONN a mediocre school in a mediocre (and that may be generous) conference. Sometimes it just becomes apparent very fast that something isn't going to work. To me, and to many others, this is one of those instances. John Feinstein summed up the case against Edsall pretty well today, I thought. I'm personally at peace with the idea that it's not going to happen. But that doesn't mean it shouldn't happen.

3. ejhayes737

ejhayes737 Member

Anyone think that Mike Leach would do well at Arizona State? Wonder if enough time has passed since the shed incident.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Because the Big East is a shit can, and it's proven every time one of its "name" coaches leave and go to a better league. Ever since the first ACC raid, This league makes average coaches look better than they really are.

Since 2004:

Walt Harris - Credited with "bringing Pitt back from the dead." Left for Stanford and fired after 5-6 and 1-11 seasons that included losses to powerhouse UC-Davis and San Jose State.

Rich Rodriguez - Credited for WVU's best five year stretch in school history. Went to Michigan and tanked out in three seasons.

Brian Kelly - Two conference titles in three seasons at Cincinnati. Unbridled mediocrity in two seasons at Notre Dame.

Edsall - Already documented on this thread.

the only coaches to leave the Big East in the past 10 years and overachieve has been Mark Dantonio and Petrino, but even Petrino had the bitch up in the NFL.

5. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Oregon's offensive coordinator Mark Helfrich was an ASU assistant (he was the QB coach under Koetter). I would suspect he would get some attention. I'm not sure what Kevin Sumlin's contract situation is, but I would expect that he would be a candidate if he's interested.

This job would make as much sense as the dozen other jobs that "make sense" for Leach that he doesn't wind up being a candidate for.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

What's funny is the beat writers for almost any school that has an opening all seem intent on listing Leach as a candidate.

Curious to see who is likely to replace Slick Rick at UCLA. How hilarious would it be if they beat Oregon and a 7-6 team got to play in the Rose Bowl? I know it's not going to happen, but just another reason why the current system is just a joke.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

The made for tv conference championship games are just as much of a joke.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Want to bet on Neuheisel's replacement?

9. ejhayes737

ejhayes737 Member

Boise's Chris Petersen will likely get a call from UCLA.

10. derwood

derwood Active Member

Replacing three gallon sleaze bucket with two gallon sleaze bucket is not much of improvement.

11. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Especially when you consider how unbalanced conference schedules can become. If Utah would have beaten Colorado, they would have qualified for the championship game with their slate of PAC-12 North games being Washington, Washington State, Cal and Oregon State - no Oregon or Stanford (UCLA and Arizona State each played one of those two, while USC played both).

FYI - can someone tell me if USC is the PAC-12 South champion or not? Because I keep seeing media references to UCLA being the division champion, but it seems to me that USC is technically the champion, but "unable to play in the PAC-12 title game because of post-season sanctions." That shouldn't preclude them from winning a regular season title, right?

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The $5 million chump change buyout to Dooley is on top of the $175K A MONTH UT is still paying Fulmer.

And, no, there's no chance Fulmer returns. There's an entire new UT administration and athletic department since he was there.

Draft saved Draft deleted