1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2011 Bowl Season Thread- Match-ups on Page 1

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Re: Running 2011 Bowl Season Thread

I think it's 13.

2. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

The second team gets around $4 million, IIRC.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

That's all that matters.

Boise is going to be, what, No. 5? Finishes ahead of the ACC champion. The Big East champion. The Big 10 champion. The Pac-12 champion. And yet, it gets nothing, with two at-large picks in the double digits chicken fighting in the Sugar and collecting the bigger checks?

Blow
    It
    Up
    And
    Disband
    It

Joke

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Yes it does, at least nominally. Look at any bowl projections, and it has, for example, "Big 12 No. 4 against ACC No. 6." Is it a big deal in the grand scheme? No. But when your school takes it up the ass year after year, one can be a bit sensitive about the slight.

5. Re: Running 2011 Bowl Season Thread

I can: Alabama over Oklahoma State. But it's pretty close. Boise and K-State got totally jobbed.

6. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

Please show me a single year and a single conference where they determine the bowl bids in order of conference standings. It. Does. Not. Happen.

7. MileHigh

Nebraska-South Carolina in the Rose Bowl pregame.

8. chester

chester Member

That means the bowl has the fourth choice among available Big 12 teams, not the fourth-place team in the Big 12.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

And the bowls have been choosing who they wanted for close to a century. Anyone saying what happened to Boise is some sort of fucking conspiracy doesn't know shit about how the bowl system works.

Boise didn't automatically qualify, and frankly, is no more deserving of a Sugar Bowl spot than Va. Tech, K-State or Baylor. It's certainly not more deserving than TCU.

10. MileHigh

Not a conspiracy but showing how utterly corrupt the entire cesspool of a system it is.

Though Boise has proven a) it will fill seats and b) provide a quality game for your sponsor.

11. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

The ACC gets two BCS bids and the Big 12 gets one. That's unbelievable to me. Virginia Tech would have gone 6-6 or worse in the Big 12 this year.

That really should have been Michigan State-anybody else.

What a crock.

And shame on the Gator Bowl for once again cashing in. I think the Gator Bowl might be the most flagrant example of a bowl game shamelessly picking two teams to fill seats. Going 6-6 should not get you in a New Year's Day game. Stupid.

12. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

You realize the point of bowl games is to make money, right? You realize bowl games go out of business if they don't fill up their stands, right?

Draft saved Draft deleted