1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2010 PGA Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Captain_Kirk, Aug 12, 2010.

1. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I think what happened to Appleby was that there was some discussion over what was a "waste" bunker as opposed to just a regular bunker. I think it cost him four shots, and was the impetus to the rule that every piece of sand on the course was to be treated like a normal bunker.

With two problems in two PGA Championships, I think it's clear that the issue isn't the players.

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Maybe Herb Kohler or Pete Dye ought to swallow a little pride and make the decision to fill in half of what they're calling bunkers. It wouldn't change at all the competitive nature of the course.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

This never would have happened if he'd had the right caddy.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

spnited -- to answer your question, the rules official approached Johnson after he made his putt on No. 18 and began talking to him.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Why didn't he approach him as soon as he "grounded" the club.

And what the fuck is the big deal about grounding a club if it doesn't improve the lie? Golf has more dumbass rles than any sport.
    If I were Johnson I'd have been ripping everybody in sight for fucking me out of a playoff...after the fact.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

You can't ground your club because it's a way to test the consistency of the sand (or muck), etc. I understand the no grounding in a hazard rule.
    What I don't understand is how the hell anyone with a brain can call that a bunker? It's a patch of sand where the gallery has been standing.

Yeah, I suppose you can make the point that a golfer should clarify any time he's on sand. But, again, look at it. That's a bunker?

7. mb

mb Active Member

As bullshit as the entire situation is, did Johnson really admit to not reading the rules? Kinda hard to feel a whole lot of sympathy for the guy if he couldn't be bothered to do that.

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I must admit I wan not aware of the rule, although I've played golf for many years now. Obviously not competitively.

I'm with spnited--seems like a pretty dumb rule. You can "ground" your club in deep rough and take practice swings to get a feel for that, but not sand?

Competitive advantage at the professional level--no, it's about or should be about shot-making.

Horrible way for a major championship to be decided. I do wonder how it would have played out had Johnson hit the putt to win it. That would have really been an uncomfortable scene.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

A writer from Golf Digest counted them recently and I think the number was 967.

I'm fine with the design. Obviously there's a point to all that sand (to make $300-per-round amateurs sh*t themselves?), and they're not about to "fill them in" like some muni. But they need to make a distinction between a greenside trap and a hellhole 50 yards offline.

I read that there was a local rule in play during the event which allowed removal of loose pebbles from the bunkers. If that was the case (usually a big no-no in golf), then I'd have had no problem with them being declared waste areas and therefore legal to ground one's club in.

10. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

David Feherty made a good point when he said he never grounds his club when he's not sure about the situtation. Bottom line is if Johnson didn't hit the ball so far off line he wouldn't have broken a rule, which he did. Stupid rule but it is a rule he should have known.

11. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Awesome. I thought of Admiral Ackbar too. Though the folks at Augusta would insist he yell, "It's a bunker!"

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Horrible way to end a great end to the tournament. I was rooting for Dustin or Bubba and that was just a bad taste. Its on Dustin and his caddy though. They were on notice and they had a rules official with the group and could have asked for a ruling. Looked like a trampled piece of ground though. If the PGA officials were on it all the way, sure wish the guy with the group would have stepped up. But probably wanted to stay out of it unless asked.

Bubba, great birdie to start and awful approach to 18, not even close. Too bad, what a funky swing and stance on the tee yet hits it 390, awesome to watch (someone tell him they stopped buttoning top button in 1999). Kaymar great, great birdie at 17 to get back into it.

Draft saved Draft deleted