1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2010 NCAA Division I Women's Basketball Tournament thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Mar 21, 2010.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Did anyone happen to catch the end of the Stanford-Xavier game?

You might not ever see a bigger choke job than what Xavier just did.

They have to be sick.

2. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

How does Xavier not hold for the last shot? Tie score, 25 seconds. Every coach in the world holds for the last shot. Xavier shot with like 17 seconds left. Who does that?
    Then the guy puts his 6-6 center -- who can't run -- at midcourt. To do what, exactly?
    As it turns out, her job was to turn and wave as Xavier's Final Four went bye-bye.

3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

That was unreal. How do you not gather yourself and miss two bunnies underneath the basket?

And to let Stanford drives down the floor without having a double team of some sort to stop her was stunning.

4. zagoshe

Like I said -- I've seen people label losses chokes and thought they were being ridiculous but how could you call this one anything other than an absolute gag job on Xavier's part.

5. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I'm not disagreeing with you Zag on the label.

What a way to piss away a win.

6. zagoshe

In the last 35 seconds Xavier missed one free throw (to complete an and-one and go up three points), then missed the front end of a one-and-one which they could have pushed the lead to four and then with the score tied and less than ten seconds to play missed not one, but two bunny lay-ups (wide open no less) and then let Xavier go coast to coast to score.

7. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Yup, that was a choke job. Stanford better hope it got its bad game out of the way. Forget UConn - they won't beat Oklahoma or Kentucky playing like they did tonight.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Duke did almost everything right ... except finish. Whoops.

I can see Geno trying to bait Griner into extreme behavior. He's also arrogant enough not to give her time of day or not game-plan with her at least in the back of his mind, which would be an immense mistake.

9. zagoshe

Baylor relies a lot on freshmen.

That is a recipe for disaster against UConn

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Agreed. But on the other hand, freshmen aren't usually aware enough to realize that they're walking into a waiting trap. They just might be crazy and naive enough to think UConn is just another team.

Kim Mulkey has no choice but to sell this, and hope that half of Waco's campus finds its way to San Antonio to help create a pseudo home-court advantage. Obviously, that still may not be enough, but gotta throw the kitchen sink and everything else at the Huskies. No point in leaving anything in the bag now.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Knicks fans nod their heads.

Bleeping' Charles Smith.

12. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

UConn 90, Florida State 50. Just in case anybody had any doubts. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted