1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2010 NCAA Division I Women's Basketball Tournament thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Mar 21, 2010.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Congrats to Gonzaga, who avenged their last loss of the season -- a four-point setback to Texas A&M in December -- by beating them in the second round.

The Bulldogs' reward? A trip to Sacramento, where among the teams in the regional semis is Stanford, which demolished the Iowa Hawkeyes 96-67 on Monday night. Stanford led 61-34 at halftime. Ouch!

Kudos to Kachine Alexander, who finished off a great season with a career-best 27 points for Iowa.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Huge crowd in Berkeley tonight for the Baylor-Georgetown game. About 1,400 and change was announced; who knows what the actual butts-in-seats count was. Everyone gets a courtside seat.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Um, considering her teams at Duke had a history of gagging in the NCAA Tournament - why should Texas expect anything different?

Of course, losing on your home floor to a lower seed in the first round is pretty bad, to be honest.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The Mississippi State-Middle Tennessee game Sunday in Pittsburgh had a listed attendance of about 5,000 or so.
    My ass.
    I think they added a zero or two to that number.

5. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

After look at the San Diego State, Texas, NCAA and Austin American-Statesman Web sites, I can't find an attendance number of the SDSU-Texas game in Austin on Sunday, but there sure were a bunch of empty seats.

6. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Mississippi State earns its first women's Sweet 16 berth after toppling Ohio State tonight, avenging last year's Round-of-32 loss to the same squad. Alexis Rack with 30 points on what is a balanced roster.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Duke's track record in the NCAAs under Goestenkors is better than her record at Texas to date. And I don't suspect there are very patient folks overseeing this in Austin.

8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Well, you are right about that -- her Duke teams waited until later in the tournament to gag.

The two years that still have to piss Duke fans off the most is the year that Lindsey Harding missed the free throws against Rutgers in the Sweet 16 game and then the year when they blew a 13-point lead to lose to Maryland in the national title game.

9. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Zag, those were in back-to-back years to boot.

BTW, Tennessee just got beat by Britney Griner and Baylor. ESPN is once again denied a UConn-Tennessee matchup.

10. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Baylor-UConn might not be a bad consolation prize.

11. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Somebody here earlier called Miss Griner "The Truth."

Can I get an "Amen!"
    -----------------
    MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP)—Freshman sensation Brittney Griner has grown up a lot this season—just ask Tennessee.

Griner scored 27 points and blocked 10 shots, leading fourth-seeded Baylor to a 77-62 win over the top-seeded Lady Vols on Saturday to advance to the NCAA tournament regional finals.

“She was the X factor,” said Tennessee coach Pat Summitt, whose team was taken out in the first round last season.

Baylor’s only other appearance in the round of eight was in 2005, the same year it won the national championship. The Lady Bears (26-9) will face No. 2 seed Duke on Monday night.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

UConn 74 - Iowa St 36.

Draft saved Draft deleted