1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2010 NCAA Division I Women's Basketball Tournament thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

That 1994 Bulls team was loaded with talent.

And, yes, the team with the best player always wins. That's why Mike Brown has won four titles since 06.

2. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

The difference is Geno recruits that talent. Phil just signs on when it's already there. I fully expect him to "retire" and then go wherever LeBron ends up, right after D Wade and Dwight Howard sign with the same team as free agents..

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Exactly. First of all, you are acting as if all of those recruits just drop into Auriemma's lap. Who do you think built that program up in the first place? And he had more powerhouse programs to catch up to than Pat Summit did.

I hate defending the guy. I absolutely believe the stories about him spreading rumors about Summit. If my daughter was old enough and had a choice of playing for either of them, I'd want her at Tennessee even though it is a hell of a lot farther from home because I wouldn't trust her to Auriemma.

But to say he can't coach? Sorry, you are talking out of the wrong end of your anatomy on this one.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

C. Vivian Stringer, Pat Summitt, Gail whateverthefuckgors and Kim Mulkey to name just a few all sign big, big time players almost every single year and yet, in the last 11 years, they have a combined three titles -- half what Geno has.

Please stop embarrassing yourself.

5. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Junk, do you really think all those great recruits and their families would buy into a program where the coach doesn't know how to coach?

When you think about all the coaches and managers that have had a "great assemblage of talent" and couldn't get within a whiff of a championship... and yet Geno closes, doesn't he?

What you're saying is kind of like arguing that Tiger Woods, with all his talent, shoud be winning every major every year.

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Oh for chrissakes.

BEFORE Auriemma took that job, UConn women's basketball had only one winning season in their entire history.

SINCE Auriemma took that job, UConn women's basketball has won seven national championships and nearly 90 percent of their games.

I take that as evidence that he can coach.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

As would any reasonable person. Don't worry. I'm sure Junkie will make all of the unreasonable posts on this thread disappear soon enough.

Draft saved Draft deleted