1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2010-11 BKC thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Nov 8, 2010.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I have officially grown sick of ESPN's yammering about its bracketologist or what ever the hell they are calling that guy.

They keep talking about how he picked 64 of 65 teams right last season to get in. Umm, anyone here or anyone with even a marginal interest in college basketball could get 62 or 63 without a problem.

The 31 automatic bids get you half way there, then take the AP top 25, run out the numbers of other teams receiving votes and that will get you a list of 40 or so teams.

With some educated guesses on selections, you'll be in the low 60s with no problem. Where it gets dicey is, does the SEC get four or five teams in? If it is four, does that make a hole for Missouri State or Harvard, or does that just mean another team for the Big East?

But that's hardly being an expert on college basketball.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

That.......and the "bubble" teams......Last 4 in; First 4 out; Next 4 out......That is a huge damn coin flip if I have ever seen it.

3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

There are other sites that I trust beyond Joey Brackets and ESPN. But, to show how big of an overhyped crapshoot it is, all of them will never get the field right, in terms of teams and where they are going.

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

If I was rich, this would be the perfect time of year to go spend a couple of weeks in Vegas. You could go see the WCC, WAC and MWC tournaments and then catch the play-in games and first two rounds at the sports books.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Winner gets a coveted automatic bid to the collegeinsider.com tournament. Or the CBI. Can't remember which. Not that it matters.

6. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

I'm OK with bracketology because ESPN does things that are far worse. This eats into the time they could use to do the terrible things.

I will go out on a limb and say the predictions this year are not going to be as accurate as they have in the past. Obviously there are more teams, but there are also more gray areas. When was the last time an Ivy League team had a case for an at-large bid? A couple of teams like Penn State have stupid losses. Will those be ignored?

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

You are correct, sir.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Lunardi's last four in start, I believe, a week after thanksgiving.... Those he got wrong in November, December, hell, through last week, they don't count toward his percentage?

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

He's an analyst of data and NCAA tendencies, not a crystal-ball reader. What he says this afternoon, stands.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

To hell with Amaker. With the clock running, he's helpless.

11. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

Seriously? You would penalize him for being wrong about the field in November?

Draft saved Draft deleted