1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2009 World Baseball Classic Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KevinmH9, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

The only problem with a November WBC is that it would compete with football. Some agents may not like their free agents risking injury prior to the signing period, too.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I dunno, I guess I just assumed. I'd love to see a pitch-f/x study on it.

Italy is looking very competent against Venezuela. Lots of good defensive plays.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Yeah, the overlap with football is a serious concern but it's better than a lot of cold (as in, unready not unwarm) players gearing up too quickly in March. (And you know these guys can't help themselves once they get out there and their adrenaline is flowing. Peavy and Dice-K know they have to get ready, but dammit, they want to win.) November is more conducive to that.

Agents, schmagents. Fuck 'em. They'll never be happy.

The only other reasonable schedule would be a mid-summer break in July, but I don't like that idea at all. It makes sense in Euro soccer because of the weather and the holidays, but it doesn't make sense in baseball.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Buck, why not? From say, July 10-20? It's not like the guys are going to forget how to play if they skip two weeks in the middle of the season. It's a question, because we're blowing off the All-Star game, of reworking 7-8 games of a 162 game schedule. That can't be beyond human ingenuity, even in baseball.
    July is when baseball has the sports calendar to itself. That seems to me to be the best time to attract attention to a baseball event MLB really wants to promote.

5. RickStain

Italy still tied 0-0 with Venezuela and honestly getting the better of the game. Several great defensive plays.

Bobby Abreu was on second with one out and took third on a deep fly to right. He took a very long turn toward home and turned around to walk slowly back without looking up.

The base coach sees the throw coming in and starts gesturing wildly for him to get back, and he starts to run but it's too late and they get him .

Actually, I saw the reply and the reason he was walking back was because he thought there was no one on the bag, but the pitcher backing up the play snuck behind him.

6. mb

mb Active Member

OK, I've got the giggles. From Phil Rogers ...

7. RickStain

Veneuzeula still batting up 4-0 in the fifth. Italy ran out of pitchers :(

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Jack Armstrong is sitting at home screaming "what the hell!?!?"

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Good God, did anyone see the MLB Network coverage of this? Gushing does not begin to describe it. For the love of piss, shut the hell up already. Nobody gives a crap. [/rant]

10. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I love this shit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. RickStain

Lots of people do. Just not most Americans and yourself.

12. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Was Mariano Duncan not available?

Draft saved Draft deleted