1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2009 World Baseball Classic Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KevinmH9, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Who is the closer for the Americans?

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

A real putz, apparently.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I see JJ Putz is practicing for the regular season with his new team.

4. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Is JJ Putz the best closer America has? Really?

Oh, and I like that Votto-Morneau-Bay combination. That would be lethal.

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

That was certainly the most tense baseball game I've ever seen in March. This is a great way to start the baseball season, beats the hell out of watching meaningless exhibition games in Florida.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I am more convinced than ever that this tournament needs to be held in early November -- and that it would be twice as spectacular if held then. If it takes a 154-game regular season to shorten the schedule, I'm fine with that.

It's pretty good baseball already. Lot of excitement, and I can't wait to go to a game next week in S.D. But it could be a lot better, if the best players knew they'd get about four months to rest after it was over, instead of trying to balance their training for the regular season with this tournament.

There's too much at stake for MLB players. I love the idea, and I think it's executed well. But it needs to be in November.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Heck, I say shut down the league midseason. It's way better than the All-Star game.

8. RickStain

I didn't say it was likely. I'd just enjoy it.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

EF had a great interview at the Rogers Centre with Jason Bay & Oiler's Sean Horcoff in the HNIC pregame show. Guys were friends growing up in BC.

I didn't know that Jason Bay was drafted in the 22nd round of the draft.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

BuckW: How about this idea? Move the WBC to mid-July. Make the All-Star break 10-14 days, and hold an eight-team double-elimination tourney a la the College World Series. It could be hosted in New York, LA, Chicago or the Bay Area as they each have two ballparks, so you could have 4 games a day, which is what's needed for that format.
    It has long been my contention that everyone in baseball would benefit from a longer All-Star break, for the mental health factor. This would be my chance to have that theory vindicated. Also, it seems to me that interest in baseball is highest during the baseball season, and there is less competition for fans' hearts and minds in July than any other time.

11. RickStain

I think you'd see fresher arms in September and October under this format too.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Are there really that many unfresh arms in September and October now? Other than normal wear-and-tear (and, of course, major injuries, which happen at any time), are injuries really much more pronounced in those months for pitchers?

I sure don't feel like I'm seeing a lower quality of play then.

Draft saved Draft deleted