1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2009 Fantasy Football Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by greenlantern, Jul 26, 2009.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Another thing making this more of crapshoot than most years is that a lot of the top players have only done their thing for one year, or not at all. Will Forte and Johnson regress after exceeding expectations as rookie? Was Turner's ’08 a fluke? Can MJD handle the workload? More questions among the Top 10 than I can remember in a long time. Also, after a number of mock drafts, I hate the wide receiver position. Doesn't seem like there's anyone worth taking after the top 4-5 guys.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I think there's eight or nine receivers in the top tier, YGB, but a fairly steep drop off after that. Maybe 12-15 guys total you can bank on to be productive.
    But yeah, the talent pool is pretty shallow across the board. There's maybe five quarterbacks I'm excited about. And the sure-thing RBs of the last few years (LT, Westbrook, Steven Jackson) have huge question marks attached.
    The whole draft feels like you're in the third round, had your draft plan set, guys start falling ... and then the top five guys on your board all get picked in the five picks before you. So you have to start scrambling and searching, take five minutes to make your pick, and end up with somebody like Kevin Smith or Eli Manning because you have to take SOMEbody.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Exactly. In these mocks, I get into the fourth round and all I see are seventh- and eighth-round guys. Alos, there's a tier of receivers that are really talented but have questionable QBs throwing to them, like Marshall, T.O., Dwayne Bowe, etc. Those are guys you might get in the fifth round and they turn out to be steals, or you might have to grab one earlier than expected and he turns out to be a bust. Total toss-up.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Had my first draft the other night. Early I know, but I was pleased with the results, save for one screw up that I blame on ESPN's faulty draft system.

I had the third pick in a redraft serpentine league with ppr.
    QB Jay Cutler, Joe Flacco --- I tried to draft Favre, it drafted me Flacco, which may turn out alright. He was next on my list, it was like the 12th round.
    RB Matt Forte, Willie Parker, Fred Jackson, Rashaard Mendenhall, Jerious Norwood --- not too deep with RBs.
    WRs Rhoddy White, Anquan Boldin, Brandon Marshall, Derrick Mason, Chaz Schilens. Very deep at WR.
    TE: Chris Cooley, Shockey (got shockey in Rd. 16, they play the lions in week 1)
    D: Carolina
    K: Longwell

Thoughts?

One of the owners is unhappy with his QB, he did autodraft and got stuck with Warner so I'm trying to trade Cutler, Mason and Cooley for Warner and Daniels.

5. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

I did my second draft of the season Sunday. Out of 10 teams, I picked last in odd-numbered rounds and first in even-numbered rounds. Here's the results. This league had the following spots:
    QB
    2 RBs
    2 WRs
    RB/WR
    TE
    K
    DEF/ST
    6 BENCH SPOTS

MY TEAM
    Rd Pk Player Pos. Team
    1. (10) Brandon Jacobs, RB, NYG
    2. (11) Peyton Manning, QB, NYG
    3. (30) Ryan Grant, RB, GB
    4. (31) Dwayne Bowe, WR, KC
    5. (50) Vincent Jackson, WR, SD
    6. (51) Dallas Clark, TE, Ind
    7. (70) Derrick Ward, RB, TB
    8. (71) DeSean Jackson, WR, Phi
    9. (90) Dallas Cowboys defense
    10. (91) Matt Cassel, QB, KC
    11. (110) Zach Miller, TE, Oak
    12. (111) Ray Rice, RB, Bal
    13. (130) Derrick Mason, WR, Bal
    14. (131) LeSean McCoy, Phi
    15. (150) Josh Brown, K, StL

I picked Manning over Brady and Brees, but I think all three will have similar numbers. Cannot figure out how Ray Rice, a starting running back for playoff team that likes to run the ball, fell to the 12th round. Definitely happy with this team.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I wouldn't make that trade. What are the chances Warner stays healthy for a third straight season? Also, most people assume the Bears don't throw much. They do. They just haven't been any good at it for a long time. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if Cutler equaled his TD number from last year.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Got the 1st pick in my second fantasy football draft.

In the first one I had the third pick and my first three players were Forte, Rhoddy White and Boldin.

I plan to take Peterson as my first pick. Don't know what to do on the turn. Jennings maybe? Any thoughts? I want to avoid the same wide receivers.

8. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

8th pick for me in a draft this Sunday. I gotta get crackin on some research.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I have the second pick in an upcoming draft. I have no idea whom I'm taking.

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I'll go ahead and throw my team out there for scorn. We have a weird keeper system that I won't go into, but after the keeper round, I had the second/11th snake pick in a 12-teamer. We start QB, 2 RBs, 2 WRs, WR/TE, K, D. Half a point for each reception. This took place nearly two weeks ago.

1 (keeper) - Steven Jackson
    2 - Andre Johnson
    3 - Kevin Smith
    4 - Wes Welkaaaaah
    5 - Derrick Ward (hate this now)
    6 - Eddie Royal
    7 - Owen Daniels
    8 - Jay Cutler
    9 - Rashard Mendenhall
    10 - David Garrard
    11 - Davone Bess
    12 - Shonn Greene
    13 - Nate Washington
    14 - Chaz Schilens (now Edge James)
    15 - Miami D
    16 - Garrett Hartley (now James Davis)

Obviously I need a kicker, but I'll pick one up before the first game. Whaddaya think?

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Just finished up a draft. Had the second pick in an eight-team league.

Turner
    Jennings
    Wayne
    S. Smith
    Rice
    Lynch
    Romo
    Cutler
    Stewart
    Hester
    Da. Clark
    Moreno
    Gould
    Vikings

Was hoping to get Jacobs on my second pick and another RB in the fourth round, but Jacobs and the others I was targeting were all taken before me in those rounds. So instead I loaded up on receivers instead of reaching for RBs early. Rice in the fifth round might be considered a reach, but I think he's in a great spot, and I figure I backed myself up pretty well with Lynch and Stewart.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Just had a draft in one of my Yahoo! leagues. Last pick of the sixth round and first of the seventh, I decide to go for my defensive guys and take Patrick Willis and James Harrison. Figure I'll knock out two of the three defensive starters with top guys and guarantee myself 15 points a week.
    At least until, two rounds later, I notice they're listed only as "D" and not "DL".
    In other words, you can't use linebackers as defensive linemen, unlike past years. Just wondering if this is something our league commissioner screwed up in the settings, or if it's a Yahoo! thing new to this season. The commish seems unaware of it.
    Has anyone else run into this?

Draft saved Draft deleted