1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2009 Fantasy Football Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by greenlantern, Jul 26, 2009.

1. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Nice backfield, TB.

I wasn't happy about ending up with Gore and Jackson, but they were good values where I got 'em.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

OK, third and final mock (10 teams, second pick):
    QB: Rodgers, E. Manning, Flacco
    RB: Turner, Gore, McFadden, F. Jones, Washington
    WR: Wayne, D. Jackson, Holmes, Driver, Gage
    TE: Daniels
    D/ST: Vikings
    K: Gostkowski

Seems there's less depth at every position than I can remember in years, especially at RB. It's almost impossible to get two good, dependable RBs. Most either split time with one or more backs, and most of the few true workhorses left are injury prone.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Posted this on the other fantasy football thread, but this is a more appropriate place for it. I could use some help, because I'm kind of stumped.
    It's a 10-team PPR keeper league. We can keep two players, but not from the same position, and the player counts toward the round they were picked last year. I have the Nos. 9, 19 and 20 picks in the draft. Here are my options:
    -- Brian Westbrook or Andre Johnson at No. 9
    -- Reggie Wayne at No. 19
    -- Matt Ryan as a 10th-rounder

There's great value with Ryan, but I can probably get him or another decent QB in the third or fourth round. I'm afraid if I keep him and Wayne, Westbrook won't be there at No. 9. But if I let Wayne go back into the pool, he likely won't be there at 19. The only way I'd get Johnson back is to redraft him at 9 or keep him. The guy picking second (and 12th) has a hard-on for him. So I've pretty much conceded him as a lost cause.
    Further muddying the waters is the keeper situation. The Nos. 1 and 2 picks are probably going to be Peterson and Brees. After that, it's a crapshoot. A lot of the better running backs (Jones-Drew, Turner, DeAngelo Williams and Forte) are locked up as keepers, so Westbrook might be more attractive early in the first round than he would be in other leagues.
    So the question is, who do you keep?
    Right now I'm leaning toward Wayne and Westbrook, trying for another RB or WR (possibly Boldin) at 20, and then hoping Ryan slips to the fourth or fifth round. Seems like that's the only way to have a chance at keeping both of them and Ryan. But I'm waffling hourly. Is it worth rolling the dice, keeping Wayne and Ryan, and hoping Westbrook slips to the 9-spot?

4. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

I'd keep Wayne and Ryan.
    Or rather A.Johnson and Ryan if that's an option.

Health has always been an issue with Westbrook and I don't see him playing the entire season this year either.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I can keep Johnson and Ryan. Just don't know if Johnson, good as he is, is worth that No. 9 pick when the crop of elite RBs in this league figures to be a bit slim.
    Seems like a lot of people are turning on Westbrook this year. Are they just fed up with his injuries, or was his ankle injury that serious?

6. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I would definitely keep Ryan at that value. I like Johnson, but if you're really worried about getting an RB, go with Wayne. I'd keep either of those two ahead of Westbrook.

7. kokane_muthashed

I had both A.J. and Wayne on one of my teams last year, and given the choice, I would keep AJ. He is the Texans offense and damn-near unstoppable (save for a game here or there). Last season, AJ had 8 TDs and 8 100-yard games; Wayne had 6 TDs and only 4 100-yard games. I've seen AJ rated as high as No. 2 on some WR Fantasy lists.

It's not so much I'm fed up with Westbrook's injuries, but he has never played a full season without injury AND he is a year older. If you do decide to keep Westbrook, you gotta handcuff LeSean McCoy to him later in the draft.

My advice is still Johnson and Ryan.

8. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Now that Brady's back, what do you guys think of Laurence Maroney as a bench RB? I picked him up as one of my last picks, on the off chance he has a decent year.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

As for Maroney, I just don't see the Patriots going away from what works for them, which is using multiple running backs. Plus, you add in the injury history and I can't see him being a reliable fantasy back.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Bat, all I'm gonna say is that Westbrook had an history of injuries BEFORE two surgeries in the offseason. Johnson, Wayne and Ryan have one thing Westbrook doesn't: lots of upside.

11. kokane_muthashed

About Maroney, you gotta suck pretty hard to be rated BEHIND 57-year-old Fred Taylor.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

All I know is I'll probably never have a set of RBs like I had in a league last year: Peterson, Forte, Chris Johnson, DeAngelo Williams. Hell, I doubt I could get even two ofthem this year. All four of them went in the top 9 of the three mock drafts I did today.

Draft saved Draft deleted