1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2008 SEC Football Media Days thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rockbottom, Jul 23, 2008.

1. John

John Well-Known Member

When you have a bunch of tab stories to write, as well as other stuff leading up to the start of the season, it's hardly a non-event. I bet I wrote at least 20 stories from interviews I did at least year's media days.

2. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Dude, put the broadbrush away.
    There are some serious hacks there. There are also a lot of really great reporters who are busting their asses because their papers still think the Wynfrey is a good place to get some news (something I don't agree with).

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

When you credential every paper or radio station that asks, that's bound to happen.

Best story I've heard so far ... Tony Hawk walked through the packed lobby and nobody recognized him.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

It's far fewer times than you acting like a smug, one-note shit stirrer on any thread involving the South and/or the SEC. Most of us here never say "we" about the team we cover, we work hard and do our best to give our readers and bosses what they want. Show a little respect for the majority of your colleagues.

Go masturbate on some other thread. You're not funny, you say the same crap all the time, and you're unfairly painting with a broad brush. If I could buy you for what you're worth and sell you for what you think you're worth, I could buy every newspaper you think you're an expert on.

STFU.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If nobody recognized him how do you know he was Tony Hawk.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

That's a fair question

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

True. I'm picking on the hometown papers, not the big ones. Yes, the radio and TV guys are far worse.

8. Mizzougrad96

Yes, there is some incredible writing talent there. That's not subject for debate. A bulk of ESPN's college staff spent time covering the SEC (Low, Schlabach, Schad, Wright Thompson)

But that's not as fun as the hack from Bumfuck, Alabama asking Coach Saban "How many games are we winning this year coach?"

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The Masters gets a little more than 600 every year. Do you honestly think the SEC media clusterfuck is covered more than the Masters?

10. Mizzougrad96

It's hard to get a credential to The Masters. It's not hard to get a credential to SEC Media Days.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Fair point and on reflection, I realized one thing: Augusta National doesn't credential blogger geeks who work out of their mother's cellar or radio dorks whose stations reach 257 listeners.

12. Mizzougrad96

I covered the Masters once and my SE was in a panic because our golf writer had a wedding that weekend and he was worried that if we only sent our columnist that we would lose our second seat.

I'm guessing that's not an issue at SEC Media Days. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted