1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2008 SEC Baseball Tournament thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Rules of Golf, May 21, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You know... I am sending out an email for a few people right now to gauge interest...
    secSportsJournalists.com -- especially Messers Dangerously and Vista --have a blanket invite as long as I can get a head count for Sunday...

(and Rules... a Volkswagen?)

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

No way the UK-Bama game gets started before 9:30 Eastern.

Did the second game take longer or something?

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Started 80 minutes late thanks to LSU going 10 innings.

4. KYSportsWriter

I even watched the end of that game and forgot it went 10.

5. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Rules, Slap, et al,

I be here at the Hoover Met/Regions Park/home of the SEC baseball death march.

We be in the top of the third, the Confederates lead the Hairy Dawgs of Athens, Ga., by a count of 2-0.

The Scufflin' Tigahs of LSU choked some serious Chickens today, beating them 5-4 in a 10-inning South Carolina meltdown. Seriously, dude walks the first two guys in the ninth, leading 4-0, then watches Matt Clark send one into Shelby County. Then the Cocks' left fielder loafs on a bloop double near the left-field line, allowing the tying run to score from first.

The LSU tater in the bottom of the 10th was almost anticlimactic.

We're in the upstairs press box. How I long for the days of the irreverent outfield press box, f bombs flyin', insults slingin', the Chicken Dance Lady from Miss. State making an absolutely ninny fool of herself.

(Well the last part we can do without.)

I'm thinkin' the UK-Bama game will start sometime around 10, end at 1 or so in the morning. I'll be long gone by then.

We have our usual nattily dressed scribes of the SEC doin' their thing, paddin' their expense report (that barbecue for dinner came with an optional $20 receipt), longing for an afternoon at the Wynfrey Hotel swimmin' pool, checkin' out the real talent at the tournament.

Me, I be hangin' out at the Holiday Inn Express, Outer Mongolia, on account of the fact I got a better deal and I am a company man personified. I brought my crossbow so if I get bored in the AM I can wander out in the woods.

I'll check in from time to time, and I'll be keepin' it real at all costs.

Long live The Connectors doin' their thing at Coconuts at South Padre Island, Texas, back in the day.

Jesus

6. John

John Well-Known Member

Nobody fucks with the Jesus.

7. Jesus_Muscatel

The Johnny Rebs have pushed their lead to 3-0 after Michael Guerrero hit a disputed home run that looked like it was 10 feet foul when it left the yard.

UGA's Dave Perno didn't like the call.

Univ. of Miss. right-hander Lance Lynn just recorded his sixth strikeout, catchin' a young man from Athens lookin' at a good pitch on the outside corner.

I'm thinkin' Last Call looks like a possibility.

The stands done started fillin' up with Alabama fans wonderin' why Ole Miss and Gawga weren't relegated to a wiffle ball game at Pelham High School.

Make that seven Ks for the aforementioned Mr. Lynn.

To paraphrase the late, great Cleavon Little, 'scuse me while I whip out this gamer and column.

It would be a big win for the Confederates, if they can hang on. They're square at the intersection of Bubble and Vine.

8. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Look at Jesus, bringing it like he just sat down to the Last Supper!

Damn, I kinda wish I was there this weekend too ... If only for the hilarity. Then again, with out the slapster and The Rules ... pish posh to "Regions Park"

rb

9. Jesus_Muscatel

Georgia CF Matt Cerione just ran head-on into the CF fence catching a line drive to end the top of the sixth.

Hope the kid's OK.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

What, no Big South tourney running thread?

Oh wait, I'm the only one here, working on hour 12 of baseball joy.

11. KYSportsWriter

They showed the replay about 10 times on TV. Looked like it hooked foul just before it reached the foul pole on every angle they showed.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

ahhh... I know that HIE... have stolen use of its wifi on a few occasions.
    I'm thinkin it's so remote, you can see the Lone Star state from the parking lot...

I will, however, think of the fun you are having while I'm arguing the merits of Class 2A catchers at the same time as the start of Game 5 or eighth inning of Game 4 -- which ever comes later...

Draft saved Draft deleted