1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2008 PGA Championship thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TwoGloves, Aug 4, 2008.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Now, we're talking!

2. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Sorry, just don't see it with Cink.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Especially if he has a 4-foot putt to win.
    Vijay looks like he's got some gas left in the tank. Phil won't win because he'll short-side himself too many times around those greens and have too many 12-footers for par. And he played like a dog there in the 2004 Ryder Cup. Anthony Kim is too aggressive.

Anyone like Boo Weekley? Good ball-striker.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'd root for Stricker, Weekley, Verplank.

Cink was a douche to me after a tournament once, and I figure there's no harm in holding a grudge from my easy chair.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Must be you ... he's usually a good guy.

6. playthrough

I know, I've heard that. But thanks, hondo.

7. playthrough

Interesting to me that SI's Golf Plus folded its PGA Championship preview into the regular issue of the mag, just like it did for the British Open. With all other majors for the last several years, SI has produced stand-alone issues. That's gotta be a Tiger-based decision; maybe the ad revenues aren't the same without him.

8. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

That stuns me. I've enjoyed my dealings with Cink. Would love to see him win, but don't think he will. Also would love to see Boo win it. Picks? Hell if I know.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Cink was just pissed about a post Playthrough deleted.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

That list is a long and distinguished one...

11. playthrough

Tough crowd!

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It's basically a second U.S. Open this year. And that favors U.S. Open type guys.

So Mediate's in there. Harrington. DL III. Boo. Ogilvy. Goosen. Els. Furyk.

Mickelson and Singh, as always, are wild cards. Either one of them can win anything, because they can make birdies no one else other than Tiger can. Both of them can miss the cut, too.

A note: These guys will absolutely butcher the front side of the course. Beat it up. Specifically 1-6. I could see somebody birdieing the first four holes, or going birdie-eagle-par-birdie. And then they'll get their asses handed to them on the back. Expect a lot of 32s on the front side, 37s on the back.

Draft saved Draft deleted