1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2008 NHL Playoffs Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

If the Caps and Montreal do meet, Huet will shove it up their asses. Huet and Green are at the Nats game now. Green threw out the first pitch, Huet delivered the lineup card.
    And, yes, baseball tickets were purchased well in advance. My XM is portable so I will watch baseball and listen to hockey.

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Prior to the Ducks-Rangers game, Neil Smith said it was one of the few marquee matchups and suggested it was a Cup Finals preview. Then the Ducks went out and thoroughly outclassed the Rangers.

The next night, the Ducks played the Devils in Newark. It was like men against boys.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Those are the 2 teams I would pick to come out of the East.
    I think the cup winner will come out of the West. My guess is San Jose

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

If the Devils and Habs meet, I'm heading east to see one game in person.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Here we go again. No respect for the Devils

I'll take (and I don't even like New Jersey) simply because of Brodeur.

And everyone's dissing Boston. I know the Habs are favourites but it ain't gonna be a romp.

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I think the Devils are getting a short shrift because of their pitiful offense. Brodeur's the greatest goalie of all-time, but even he can't win 16 1-0 games.

7. New Jersey doesn't have the scoring depth and in a series matchup will have their defense exposed. The Devils might beat New York but I don't think they'll survive a Pittsburgh or Montreal series. Brodeur's image as a great goalie is ok in my book but he's been helped by the dead puck erea and the boring trap hockey the devils play. I'd like to see Marty's numbers in Pittsburgh or Edmonton.

If San Jose doesn't win it all or at least make it to the Finals, it has to be the end for Ron Wilson. Joe Thornton needs to step it up big time and turn around his reputation or he's going to forever have the regular season choker tag.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The "if Brodeur played for Edmonton or Pittsburgh" is one of those meaningless hypotheticals.

Marty Brodeur has won three Stanley Cups and a Gold medal at the Olympics. His record speaks for itself.

He's still the best damn goalie in the league.

People used to say Ken Dryden only won all those Cups and Vezinas because of the great teams around him.

No, he helped make those teams great.

Dryden had this ability to zone in when it counted. Hell, he wouldn't see a shot for ten minutes and all of a sudden he'd make a game breaking save.

Goalies like Tim Thomas, Fleury or Huet can't carry Brodeur's jockstrap.

Carey Price, however, might be able to.

9. Flash

Flash Guest

Bobby Clarke on the 'trap': "In my day, they called it defence. Good defence."

Get. The. Fuck. Over. It. Already.

10. accguy

accguy Member

In case anyone other than Flash and myself care about the West, the NW Division champs took a significant hit today when Nick Schultz went down.

http://ww3.startribune.com/blogs/wildblog/2008/04/07/schultz-undergoes-appendectomy-status-unknown/

11. Flash

Flash Guest

Saw that, acc. Wasn't sure whether it had been posted yet or not. That is a big hit.

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Bobby Clarke can like my big toe. That is all.

Draft saved Draft deleted