1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2008 NHL Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Jun 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

If the Kings get Malkin they will have 2 of the best young forwards in the league in him and Kopitar. I agree with you that this is a know brainer for the Kings.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Mr Mills, is it true that Erik Cole and Justin Williams are on the block? If so I would love to see the Canucks make a play for them.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

If Malkin wanted to break the bank, it would be a no-brainer for the Pens. But he's said somewhere around Sidney money would be enough -- he's never stated that he needs to make more. Thus, my confusion, especially when the Pens could be short-sighted and keep him for another season to help another Cup run.

4. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

FWIW, none of the Pittsburgh beat guys have reported ANYTHING about Malkin being shopped, much less dealt.

Of course, that could just be the fanboy in me choosing not to believe Shero would deal a guy that finished 2nd in the Hart Trophy voting and is still 21 years old. And has been quoted as saying he doesn't need to break the bank with his next deal. And has been called a cornerstone of the franchise by the owner.

5. Flash

Flash Guest

According to Garrioch, it's on ... but Garrioch subscribes to the 'shit against the wall' theory.

6. Flash

Flash Guest

Garrioch also has Keenan shopping Warrener and Aucoin to look for some scoring.

7. Flash

Flash Guest

Prospal went back to the Bolts yesterday for a seventh round pick this weekend and a conditional pick next year. No word on how big the bag of pucks was.

8. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

Here's the problem with that scenario: the rumored Malkin-to-LA trade I heard about had Kopitar going the other way.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You gotta love the rumor mill because the one I heard involved Cammileri picks and others.

The problem with taking Kopitar back is they're going to have to pay him a huge deal as well.

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Not big enough to shove up the new coach's butt.

11. I was told Shero has been the one receiving trade offers, not initiating the phone calls. Pittsburgh is in a listening mode for all of their players except Crosby and Fleury until things are settled with Hossa. One team scout said he would take Dustin Brown (RW), Jack Johnson (D), and 2008 #1 pick for Malkin as he believes the team would be stronger in terms of depth and style of play than kill their cap situation with Crosby, Hossa and Malkin making over $8 million plus Whitney, Staal and Fleury making over $4 million each.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

If that has legs, Shero would be very wise to listen. Depth would be much stronger, Jack Johnson is on his way to being as good as the scouts said and a No. 1 pick from L.A. is icing on the cake.

This is, of course, assuming Pittsburgh signs Marian Hossa.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.