1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2008 NHL Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Jun 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I have no clue what to make of this. I love Evgeni and would prefer him to Hossa. On the other hand, it makes sense to take care of Sidney's line and ship a guy who would fetch the most in a trade to help the team long-term. But would the Penguins get enough back in that trade?

I have no clue what to make of this.

2. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Guaranteed to happen: The Kings will screw this up somehow. They always do.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I'm not sure you can get full value for Malkin, but what you can do is get a good young forward, and stud prospect defenceman in the draft, and salary cap flexibility for the future, which may be just as important.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

But shouldn't they get somewhere close to full value for Malkin? He's got a year left on his contract (which calls for less than $1 million this season -- a bargain), which would give that team more than enough time to lock up a 21-year-old center to anchor a franchise. I just wonder if that deal mentioned means the Penguins are selling themselves short here, if they're serious about trading Malkin.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Rumour du hour: Spezza to LA for Cammalleri and the second overall pick.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

That would be a great trade for the Sens. I can't see the Kings doing that one.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Melrose is expected to be named Lightning coach on Tuesday.

And I understand the current contract for Malkin, Oz, but you're probably going to get more for him now than you are during the season. Plus, can you imagine the reaction if the Pens are cruising along at the deadline next year and then trade Malkin.

I think the timing has to be now if they're going to do it.

8. Flash

Flash Guest

You know ... and here's what sucks for you guys ... if this happens, it makes me right again, when you all told me I was off my rocker. :D

9. Flash

Flash Guest

I like Spezza. But he does need to get out of Ottawa.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Hey Flash, what are you hearing about the Flames and Oli Jokinen?

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Oh, I get that. You can't trade him during the season, it's got to be now. But my confusion is what's best for the Penguins. Is it Hossa, giving Crosby that sniper Lemieux always had? Is it Malkin, who's one of the best players on the planet? And if it's Hossa, when you trade Malkin, did you get enough back?

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

All good questions, Oz. But from what I saw, Malkin completely disappeared at times against Detroit, even moreso than the other headline offensive players.

L.A. desperately needs something up front to go with Jack Johnson on the blue line. Malkin might also get the fat contract he seeks from the Kings more easily than he would from Pittsburgh. It's a no-brainer for L.A., obviously, the question is merely what Shero could command with Malkin. Better to deal him now while he's in a position of leverage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.