1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2008 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KevinmH9, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Depends what position you need. Why would you draft a 7-foot center to run the point when you already have a solid front line?

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Doubt that, given how many people consider Rose the best player in the draft. Even if they didn't go with him, they would certainly consider it and consider trading down with the Heat, who have wanted Rose from the start. So the Bulls aren't exactly the only team who would pick Rose at the top.

I agree on what you said about Hinrich. I like the guy, he's a Jayhawk. That said, he's a career 41 percent shooter. I have no doubt Rose would be an upgrade in all areas at that position.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

But when you draft that high, shouldn't you go for who you feel is the best player?

Shouldn't you always draft that way?

4. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Not if you have a need position that surpercedes that kind of thinking. That said, you can't sacrifice based solely on need if there's someone on the board that is outstanding at a position that you don't have a "need" at.

More often than not though I'd say teams would do what you said if they had several needs and thought it was hard to go wrong with any of a few certain players.

5. Rumpleforeskin

I always think you should draft the best player at the position you need.

Chicago needs a well-rounded point guard since Hinrich has kind of fizzled out. They can shop him around and then have Rose, Gordon and Deng. The Bulls also couldn't go wrong with Beasley, since they need a big body in the middle.

Miami needs a point guard or a well-rounded big man even though Cook came up big for them during the end of last season. That's why I can see them grabbing Rose, if Chicago doesn't pick him or Beasley, if they want him.

If you already have a stacked front court, why would you waste a pick on another player in that same position?

6. 93Devil

Usually if you have the first pick in the draft you have more than one hole to fill.

7. Rumpleforeskin

Hence why I said the Bulls have a hole in the front and back court. Teams decide which hole is bigger and decide to fill it with what pick they feel is necessary. Just like the Blazers and Sonics last year.

8. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I am not sure I agree with your premise here.

The Spurs teams had a PG who most would consider great, or at least one who played great during their championships.

I think the same applies to Rajon, he had a great series against the Lakers.

I also think that Pierce's defense on Kobe was just as big of a factor as his offense.

Scoring is almost always going to take a back seat to who can play better defense in winning a championship.

9. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Yi and Bobby Simmons to New Jersey, Richard Jefferson to Milwaukee:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/news/story?id=3462210

10. 93Devil

Way to give up on Yi after one season.

This will look great when Jefferson is hurt.

Seriously, they could get more for Yi than this? Yi was 12 ppg, 6.6 rpg and 50% from the floor in December.

11. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Jefferson is coming off a career year.

Yi's a stiff.

12. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Who cares about the draft? The Liberty and Dream are playing over at the Garden. Talk about overshadowing the draft! :)

Draft saved Draft deleted