1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2008 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KevinmH9, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

According to those ratings, Drew Gooden projected higher than Kevin Durant and Carlos Boozer. He may wish to work further on his formula.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

He retroactively predicted that. He didn't make that prediction at the time (don't think he was writing for the .com then). His current formula shows what he *would* have predicted at the time.

And who here didn't predict Adam Morrison would be a bust? Oh wait, he had 'heart'. Sorry, Dickens.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

It's so hard to tell which 19-year-old is going to make the best pro at this point, isn't it? I mean, have we seen enough of either of these guys to really make an educated guess? Sure, they were great in college, but that doesn't mean shit.

It does make for interesting discussion, though. Right now, on the very, very little I know of both players, I'd take Rose. I think the NBA has become a guard's game, despite what the "experts" are saying.

4. JackReacher

Defense is overrated? Really? Did you watch the playoffs this year? Any of it? Why am I asking so many questions?

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

And yet, with the No.3 pick of the 2006 draft, the Charlotte Bobcats select......

6. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

I agree. It certainly leans toward scoring combo guards like Wade. But I don't think Rose will score enough to take advantage of that.

It is awful soon to tell. I recall making fun of Deron Williams a few years ago (the guy looked one donut away from trying out as a dlineman for the Illini football team). He turned out OK.

7. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he actually typed "defense is overrated". Awesome.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

You seem an inquisitive fellow.

9. JackReacher

I love talking NBA, but I'm not sure I can take someone who says defense is overrated seriously.

10. JackReacher

Maybe. Or it could be all the garbage I just ate at Waffle House catching up with me.

11. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

The Celtics had one of the best defenses in history. In that case, it matters. But most teams aren't close to that. The Bulls, Heat and Wolves, for instance, aren't even close to having a good defense (although the Bulls have the guys for it). It doesn't make sense to emulate everything the Celtics did because they're inherently going to do it better. Right now, defensive ability in players is going to be overvalued. Doesn't make sense to tag along in that attitude.

It doesn't make sense to try to be the Celtics. It makes more sense to try to beat the Celtics. Can't beat them with a roster full of guys who aren't quite as good as they are.

When I said it was overrated, I mean that it quite literally is overrated. Right now, teams are going to try to be like the Celtics (just like teams try to emulate every champion in every sport). Never made any sense to me.

12. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Teams are going to try to trade away their entire rosters for disgruntled superstars/former superstars on the downside of their careers and sign a bunch of former starters as role players in hopes of catching lightning in a bottle for a season or two?

Draft saved Draft deleted