1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2008 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KevinmH9, Jun 24, 2008.

1. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

It looks like Derrick Rose is going to go #1 to the Chicago Bulls. Better get the paramedics ready as Rose has gone on record to say that Chicago is his absolute "dream team" and he'll likely pass out if his name is selected first.

Discuss.

2. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

I don't think Rose will necessarily be a bad pick here. I think he'll turn out fine and nobody can second-guess Chicago for drafting him.

But Beasley is going to wind up the better player. He might be a bit of a head-case, but I think those reports are probably a bit overblown. Even if they're not, worst case scenario is that he winds up like Carmelo Anthony. Absolutely phenomenal player who does things the right way for 360 days a year. The other 5? Don't ask. I think you can win with a guy like that. Getting a player who can score 25 points a night isn't something you pass up, not for a PG who didn't perform all that well in college.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I was stunned to see Mario Chalmers -- at least according to Chad Ford's mock draft on ESPN.com -- projected to go No. 12 to the Kings, ahead of former teammates Brandon Rush (No. 15 to the Suns) and Darrell Arther (No. 18 to the Wizards).

It wasn't too long ago that Chalmers was seen as a fringe first-round pick. Everywhere else, Chalmers is pegged for the bottom third of the draft.

4. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Either Rose or Beasley will be great additions to any team. Rose has that great height, vertical leap and speed to make him absolutely lethal in the fast-break and unstoppable in the paint. He needs to work on the mechanics of his shot, but if he can get that down. Rose will become a NBA All-Star in no time at all. His only has 14.9 PPG, but that'll improve drastically with time with a professional team and from a person with his talent.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Beasley will be the better player.

6. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

I thought that, too. I watched several KU games this year and he never really stuck out, good or bad. But look at his numbers. He's an extremely gifted shooter, he's got decent size for a PG and he played well in the tournament. I don't think this draft is all that deep, so I can understand why he launched into the lottery. Five years from now, is DJ Augustin going to be a better pro player than Chalmers? How about Eric Gordon? I think Chalmers is fairly safe in that he'll probably be a decent role player.

7. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

How will his scoring 'drastically' improve? He was playing in the Conference USA. You're telling me he's going to do better going against the Celtics, Cavs and Pistons next year playing for the Bulls? The game is going to get tougher, especially for the first three years, by a significant margin for Rose.

8. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

He said drastically improve 'with time.' Which I agree with.

Beasley will be the better player from the get-go. I'd bet on him winning ROY. But Rose will eventually become a great player as well.

9. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

He said NBA All-Star in no time. Don't see how it happens, even in the East. Calderon, Arenas, Bibby and Billups are all ahead of him on the PG spectrum right now and for the foreseeable future.

I think Rose is going to be a fine player. But the idea that he's a sure-fire star is probably a bit overblown. He wasn't the best player on Memphis most nights, and they played a pretty weak schedule. I think that's more important than teams are making it out to be.

10. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

He may take a year or two considering his age, but I see Rose as a potential franchise PG. He's that good. Leadership, scoring, maturity, talent, floor vision...he's the whole package.

11. dargan

dargan Active Member

Well done.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

While I would generally agree -- I think Beasley > Durant -- I don't see how Rose played poorly in college. In six tournament games, he averaged 20.8 points, 6.5 rebounds, 6.0 assists and shot 51.8 percent from the field. Another thing I liked about Rose is that he learned how to be a good teammate surrounded by talent. He could score, but he didn't mind deferring to others, too.

All in all, I thought Rose did enough to merit the hype at Memphis.

Draft saved Draft deleted