1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2007 World Series (Colorado Rockies vs. Boston Red Sox) thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Oct 21, 2007.

1. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

Re: Running 2007 World Series thread; Colorado Rockies vs. Boston Red Sox

So who would've thunkit in 1997 that in 10 years the Red Sox would be playing the Colorado Rockies in the World Series. Heck half of the country is just now realizing there's actually a baseball team in Denver. My friend who lives in Denver just now realized they have a team there...
    Makes you wonder who will be in it 10 years from now..My prediction...the Royals take on the Pirates -- and the Pirates have the corpse of Jim Leyland throw out the first pitch of game 1.

Before then, though, I say the Sox in 7.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Didn't the Mets royally fuck up in Game 1? That is what I remember, vaguely.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Oh, how I wish that World Series would come true ... no, seriously, that's my dream World Series.

4. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

If it meant seeing old clips of Bo Jackson and/or George Brett played religiously before each game that'd be super.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I suppose they "royally" fucked up, or, at least Benitez did. He relieved Franco in the ninth and promptly walked O'Neill with one out, then allowed singles to Polonia and Vizcaino -- his an RBI single to tie the score at 4. The Yankees won in the 12th on a bases-loaded single by, again, Vizcaino (the former Met).

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Talk tonight that Wakefield may start Game 1 or 2 so that the Sox don't subject the knuckler to Coors. Game 2 would be a great spot for him; it'd give Schilling and Matsuzaka extra rest and keep Beckett at the front of the rotation.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

And the Yankees won three one-run games and a 4-2 clincher in Game 5. The numbers looked closer than the games, though. Following the debacle in Game 1, the Mets scored five ninth-inning runs in a 6-5 loss in Game 2.

They were as dominant as you can be in a 4-2 win in the third game, with Rick Reed throwing a beautiful six innings and three scoreless from the bullpen, something that happened twice (or so) this year.

The Yankees went up, 3-0, with runs in the first three innings of Game 4, and the Mets struck for two in the third, but the Yankees' pen pitched 4 2-3 scoreless innings, striking out five for the 3-2 win and the 3-1 lead before Luis Sojo ended the effectively World Series with a two-run single in the eight inning of Game 5 for the 4-2 victory.

It was close in terms of the 19-16 run differential, but each loss was devastating to the kids from Queens.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

I think the layoff -- and the Red Sox offense --will kill the Rockies.
    As much as I'd love to see a long, competitive Series, I'm thinkng the Red Sox probably will sweep.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

They had one long layoff before and did OK.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

This one is twice as long, wicked... 8 days as opposed to 4... and the D'Backs can't hit at all, let alone hit like the Red Sox can.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

True.

I'm just not willing to totally dismiss momentum.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Momentum is tomorrow's pitcher.

And speaking of tomorrow's pitcher, who do the Rockies have behind Francis?

Draft saved Draft deleted