1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2007 World Junior Championships (Hockey) thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Dec 25, 2007.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

The lady asks a good question, so why the hell not start a new thread for the WJCs?

2. Flash

Flash Guest

9:30 a.m. tomorrow morning for me. That is when it all gets started.

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I'm jazzed that the WJC's will be on the NHL Network down here.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And on TSN here. First game is Boxing Day (that's Dec 26 for your foreigners), Canada vs the Czech Republic.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

For those who are interested, the schedule of games:

Canada's roster:
    http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.cfm/ci_id/14990/la_id/1/season_id/207/team_id/647/ss_id/21712.htm

Team USA's roster:
    http://www.usahockey.com/world_junior_championships_2008/default.aspx?id=211062&DetailedNews=yes

6. Flash

Flash Guest

What are the prospects for USA and who are the kids to watch?

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Bobby Sanguinetti, Brampton Battalion defenseman (NY Rangers property); Kyle Okposo, who, following the WJCs, will join the New York Islanders; and James vanRiemsdyk.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Jonathan Blum is a terrific offensive D-man who is a neighbour of my cousin in Rancho Santa Margarita, Calif. he won a Memorial Cup last season with the Vancouver Giants. The US PP will be fun to watch if they team him up with Sanguinetti.

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Thanks for the info, Huggy!

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I have seen plenty of the OHL kids on the Canadian team this season:

Josh Godfrey: Plays for Craig Hartsburg in the Soo. Can really hum it from the point, will be a big part of the PP. Signed by the Caps.

Drew Doughty: One of the best offensive D in the OHL. I read that he will team with Karl Alzner on Canada's top pair.

PK Subban: Another really good offensive D.

Stefan Legein: Could be this team's Downie. World-class shit disturber but he knows what to do around the net. Can take some stupid penlaties.

Shawn Matthias: Big, strong kid just signed with Florida. Terrific two-way player.

Wayne Simmonds: New to the national program, was traded to the Soo just before the camp. Should be a good role player.

Matt Halischuk: Saw plenty of him in his St. Mike's days and never would have believed he could play at this level but he's been extremely productive with Kitchener this season.

John Tavares/Steve Stamkos: Pierre McGuire will go brown bunny over both these kids throughout the tournament.

Tavares has an outstanding release and shot but how will his skating be on the big ice? Will make his biggest impact on the PP. He can't take two minutes shifts on this team.

Will be interesting to see what they do with Stamkos. This is still a tournament for 19-year-olds, but his offensive talents will be hard to ignore.

Steve Mason: A horse who is probably the best goalie in the OHL. Tough to look past Bernier's NHL and Mem Cup experience but Mason should be a more than capable backup.

11. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

The only problem is that it's only the medal round. Last year I had the Center Ice package, and they showed all of the U.S. first-round games. NHLN isn't showing those, and it doesn't appear that Center Ice (which I no longer have) is showing them, either. Then again, I don't think all of the medal round was on Center Ice last year. Win some, lose some...

Anyway, U.S. thumped Borat's boys, 5-1, in the opener today.

12. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

One hand- Peter DeBoer.
    The other hand- Bud Stefanski.

You do the math!

Draft saved Draft deleted