1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2007 NHL regular season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Sep 26, 2007.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Does he just get itchy feet as the postseason approaches, or what happens?

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Devils beat writers are going to love Brent Sutter.

3. Flash

Flash Guest

God-awful headline alert ...

http://communities.canada.com/ottawacitizen/blogs/hockeycapital/archive/2007/09/26/mcammond-goes-downie.aspx

4. Flash

Flash Guest

Helluva Globe story, though ...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20070927.DOWNIE27/TPStory/Sports/columnists

Mantha wishes only that the OHL had cracked down harder on Downie rather than issuing a string of short suspensions.

"Downie orchestrated the hazing situation [in Windsor]," Mantha said. "He was never held accountable for it. I was. If the proper steps had been taken to hold this kid accountable, [the hit on McAmmond] might not have happened.

"I believe when these kids learn to play, learn to respect their opponents, that's when they should be held accountable," Mantha added. "They always talk about development, how the OHL is a breeding ground for the NHL. Kids should be taught this is what it takes to be a pro, on and off the ice."

Branch took exception to those words.

"[Mantha] had no idea what took place or what the Peterborough Petes, Kitchener Rangers and the OHL did to support Steve," Branch said. "[Mantha] was out of our league."

5. bower is the best
    even now.. he is like the nicest guy.. so kind to fans and always signing autographs right up until the last guy in line
    class act

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Flash

Flash Guest

Isn't he, though? He's one of my favourite interviews of all time ... the word 'gentleman' comes to mind.

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I talked to Brent Sutter today. Devs beat writers will LOVE him.

8. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Grahame shut out the Blue Jackets 3-0 behind two unassisted Stillman goals, so now the Canes backup and starting goalies have exhibition shutouts.

9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Considering that Downie's actions basically ruined Mantha in the OHL, I'm not sure he's a believable witness.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Elliotte's right, Mantha's full of shit. He was on the bus at the time of the hazing incident. I've been on plenty of buses with junior hockey players. If there was something like that going on, everyone would know it.

11. Flash

Flash Guest

Iron Mike started yelling yesterday ... The lede sucks (Francis, I love you!) but Keenan put them through a rough one ...

http://calsun.canoe.ca/Sports/Hockey/2007/09/28/4533130-sun.html

CALGARY -- After weeks of diplomacy, Iron Mike finally earned his nickname yesterday.

Stopping short of calling his team lazy, Mike Keenan delivered his first public tongue-lashing of the Flames, punctuating a tirade-filled practice with a frank critique of his squad.

"I am prepared to say the work ethic of this team can be upgraded considerably," said Keenan, minutes after a spirited skate that had players rubbing one another out while Keenan screamed.

"We have to change the habits around here, maybe not the culture."

On the heels of the club's fifth loss in six preseason outings, Keenan greeted his players with a directive to pick up the tempo. Clearly unhappy with their response, he repeatedly shouted out instructions to skate and battle even harder.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted