1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2007 MLB Post-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Sep 29, 2007.

?

Who is going to win the World Series (once the Mets or Phils are eliminated, I'll whack out the N.L.

1. Red Sox

14 vote(s)
    23.0%
  2. Indians

7 vote(s)
    11.5%
  3. Angels

9 vote(s)
    14.8%
  4. Yankees

6 vote(s)
    9.8%
  5. Phillies

4 vote(s)
    6.6%
  6. Cubs

10 vote(s)
    16.4%
  7. Diamondbacks

3 vote(s)
    4.9%
  8. Rockies

8 vote(s)
    13.1%
  1. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Red Sox-Angels... The best series of the lot.
    This one could definitely go five, hope it doesn't, but it probably will. Sox in five.

Yanks-Indians...
    If the Tribe pitching can stop the bigtime Yankee offense, Cleveland wins the series and the Spanks go home early again. Cleveland in four.

2. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

I can see the Cubs/D-Backs going 5 games. I don't know who will win yet, my predictions shall be unfolded soon. I just need to know who the Phillies will be facing.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

The funny thing about HB's poll: The Mets had one vote as of elimination. Someone else has since voted for them. Moran (whoever you are)!

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Twas not I.
    I had been touting the Angels for most of the year but I don't like the way they ended the season.

I have nbot yet voted in this poll because all of the playoff spots are not decided until the Pods and Rockies go at it tomorrow...and the postseason becomes a matter of match-ups.

As for the Yanks 6-0 record against the Indians: they did not face Sabathia at all; they beat Carmona once and he got ND in another start when Bayonne Joe got torched for 6 in the bottom of the 9th.

The Red Sox are not a good matchup for the Angels and with the extra day off in that series, Beckett, Schilling and Dice-K can carry the Sox. This could be a geat 5-game series

I kinda like the Cubs over the D'Backs because I just don't think the D'Backs are that good.

I think I'd lean toward the Rockies over the Phillies but the Phillies over the Padres.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

spnited, thanks for the research on Indians-Yankees. You mentioned the two guys who are probably the key to the series. The one real advantage the Indians have on the Yankees is the top of the rotation. Sabathia and Carmona may not be second and third in the AL Cy Young voting behind Beckett, but they should be.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

OOP, I'm beginning to thnk Sabathia is a ahead of Beckett in the Cy Young Award race. And Carmona is third.

At any rate, when the TV talking heads start telling you Sabathia is 1-4 lifetime against the Yankees, remember this: he has not pitched against them since 2004.

7. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Indians over Yankees in 5. That is my first prediction. If it comes down to pitching, the Indians have this one on lock. Sabathia, Carmona, and even Westbrook can cause problems. It actually depends if it will be Westbrook or Byrd in game 3. Sabathia and Carmona can win both of their games but then I can see the Yankees taking two in the Bronx. Then it comes back to Carmona I believe for game 5 and in Jacobs, the Yankees go home.

8. outofplace

I can see Sabathia beating out Beckett, too. I think Beckett should win it and probably will. Either way, the Indians have two of the top three starting pitchers in the AL this season. I just wonder if anybody can handle that Yankee offense right now.

9. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

My stomach churns with a strange mix of excitement and dread thinking about the potential for a Cubs-Paders NLCS -- the true test of whether the Cubs are cursed.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Garvey Sucks.

11. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

It surprised me Fogg is the best the Rockies have available tonight.

For that reason alone, Padres win.

12. outofplace

Supposedly, Fogg has had some success against opposing aces. I read something about them calling him "Dragon Slayer" because of this.

Not that I'd want to take my chances with him against Peavy.

Draft saved Draft deleted