1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2006 World Series Of Poker Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Satchel Pooch, Jul 26, 2006.

1. maberger

maberger Member

little late to the party on this one, but of the players i've seen up close live -- like two tables over, but not like i'm playing at their limits -- brunson and greenstein absolute gentlemen. last year during legends month at thie bike these two were sitting at a table on the rail playing chinese poker and spoke to everyone who walked up to them.

the master, on the othe hand, is a huge pain in the ass. was sitting behind him during same month when he refused to post his blind in, like, a 4-8 omaha game. and he never tips the dealers.

which leads me to my favorite jackpot story...

big O/8 game -- Greenstein, Master, others. I'm playing baby no limit nad look up when Greenstein is calling to a clearly angry and stalking away Master: Men! Men! Come back! You won the jackpot!

seems Men hit the bad beat jackpot for like 30k, but didn't care because the pot he lost was somewheres twice that.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Oh, the donkfest has started.

From Cardplayer...

3. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

What are these guys doing in the thing?

4. Philosopher

Philosopher Member

I don't know how you can list the "10 best tournament Hold 'Em players" without including Dan Harrington. There's a strong argument that he's #1.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Hey, the guy almost had a straight flush. All he lacked, apparently, was a straight and a flush.

6. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

Count me in the group that considers his two final tables in 2003 and 04 a better accomplishment than Doyle or even Chan winning back to back. Yeah, he doesn't have the bracelet from either tournament but considering the number of players he had to outlast that's amazing.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

What about Raymer winning in '04, then finishing in top 25 last year? Comparable, IMO.

8. Lester Bangs

Raymer should have been at the final table last year, too. I again mention that all-time awful beat Aaron Kanter put on him. If he wasn't the chip leader, he was close to it and Kanter made an all-time donkey play, Raymer called him and then got sucked out on runner-runner. Raymer wins that hand and he is a dominant chip leader and we all saw what happened there in 2004.

Chan takes back-to-backs and then finishes second to Hellmuth is also up there.

9. trigger_cut

trigger_cut Member

The two-part episode on this final table of a circuit championship tourney just started on ESPN, running back to back the next two hours.

It's worth watching. Lots of great twists in the final half hour. It's fun to watch the starting hands that Smith plays (think 2-7) with a huge chip lead.

10. Lester Bangs

Yeah ... think he might have been drunk.

Biggest name to bust out of WSOP ME today so far: Amir Vahedi

11. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

So long, Spidey, guess you'll have to settle for balling hot chicks.

12. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

On the Cardplayer.com leaderboard, it looks like Hoyt Corkins is off to a nice start. He's a dangerous tournament player.

Draft saved Draft deleted