1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2006 World Series Of Poker Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Satchel Pooch, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Never played a tourney were somebody wasn't out in the first three hands. Somebody always tries to get stupid and get big in chips early and gets to make the walk of shame. With 8k in this field, it will happen, no question. With that many hands, there will be a couple dozen pocket aces drawn right away and somebody will get cracked.

2. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

Good point.

3. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

By the way, and I know Lester, Jones and many others of you can appreciate this, is there any worse way to go down than when you have AA and you're up against AA and you lose because four to the flush comes up on the board?

That's a kick to the scrote.

4. Seabasket

Seabasket Active Member

Just last year, Kate Hudson's brother Oliver went out on the first hand of the main event when his 10s full of aces was cracked by Sam Farha's aces full of 10s.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I had QQ the other day, I was all-in heads up against A-Q, with the other three aces already dead (one had been accidentally overturned on the deal and became the first burn card, two other players said they had folded aces). I lost to a four-card straight when a 10 hit on the river (and to add insult to injury, the flop was K-Q-J, giving me trips).  :mad: That was a kick to the scrote.

I came back from my last $700 and won the tourney, though.

6. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

I've only had heads up AA once ... and that didn't happen, thank God. If it did, it's a good sign that God is sending you a message and it's "Son, tonight it is OK for you to drink heavily."

7. Jones

Jones Active Member

I've seen that happen with AA v. AA and KK v. KK, but it's never happened to me.

I have had it happen when I'm holding KK and I've been called by AK, and he's hit his four-card flush with the Ace. Not quite as bad, but I still felt pretty sick.

But let's not turn this into a bad beat thread. We'll be here all night.

8. Johnsonville

Johnsonville Member

Moneymaker would actually probably do pretty well if he played poker as a profession. He has had solid finishes in the events he plays. He doesn't play but a few events each year.

Instead, he earns endorsement cash from Poker Stars and money with various business projects. No risk, high reward.

---

First update: Jim Rockford helped kick off the event and someone busted out in seven minutes.

9. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

Fair enough.

Cards are in the air. Card Player reporting that "at least 8,532 participants" this year, with 500 alternates each Day 1.

10. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

According to Card Player, the answer is 7 minutes. No details yet.

Developing...

11. Johnsonville

Johnsonville Member

For those interested ...

Daniel Negraneu, Phil Gordon, Mike Sexton, Dan Herrington, Gus Hansen, Dutch Boyd, Barry Greenstein and Tony G are among the pros on the chopping block today.

Celebs in attendance are Laura Prepon, Wil Wheaton and Tobey McGuire,

12. patchs

patchs Active Member

Can anyone tell me how Fred Faour is doing?

Draft saved Draft deleted